63% Of Travelers Read Print Newspapers During Hotel Stays

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/p...y-63-travelers-read-print-newspapers/701506/1

A full 63% of travelers read print newspapers during their hotel stay, according to USA TODAY's just-released study of traveler habits.
    Additionally, 50% of frequent business travelers and 45% of frequent leisure travelers report reading print newspapers more while traveling than at home.
    Do these stats surprise you?

They sure struck a chord with my Facebook buddies, many of whom have iPads and mobile apps yet still like to pick up a physical paper at their hotels.

Frequent traveler Chris Byrd, for instance, says he loves to have the paper from his hotel to read during takeoff and landing. Same with Hickson Chen, who also likes the fact that "it's free," unlike the Financial Times that he likes to read.

No one said it, but I'm taking a guess that at least some people like it so they can bring it into the bathroom!

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/p...y-63-travelers-read-print-newspapers/701506/1

thrashsoundly, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting news about printed newspapers, it's with us the same, while we nearly never read anymore printed newspapers, but during our stays in hotels we keep up with them as long the hotels offer them of course.:)

thrashsoundly and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's there, I tend to read it...hotels, airplanes, lounges, etc. :)

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here!:)

thrashsoundly and rwoman like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the printed paper, though I will sometimes read an iPad if on a crowded bus or in coach on an airplane.

However, I will not read USA Today. There's more news in the free papers they hand out at subway stops. One reason I'm loyal to Hyatt is they have the WSJ, even at Hyatt Place.

thrashsoundly and uggboy like this.
  6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    With hotels offering the printed papers, and my airport parking also offers paper when entering in the morning, it's easy to just accept it and read it. When it's not offered, I continue to read it online.

thrashsoundly and uggboy like this.
  7. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newspapers are also popular on flights in premium classes. It's an activity you can actually do during takeoff and landing, and the papers are free. I was thinking about this last week while taking a flight from SIN to HKG and almost every passenger in the forward cabin was reading a newspaper. Maybe frequent travelers will be the demographic to buoy up the newspaper industry. A radical shift is trending for some big newspapers to start charging for all online content instead of offering it for free. Most others will follow if the outcome looks positive, so look for more print newspapers to abound in your travels.

uggboy likes this.