60K mile Citibank Gold Visa

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MaryDarling, Jul 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received an offer in the mail for a Citibank AA Signature Gold Visa. Terms are:

Annual fee of $50 -- waived for first year
    30K miles for $750 spend in first 4 months of card ownership
    5K bonus miles for each $6K in spend over next 24 months, up to 30K miles
    1 mile per $
    No blackout dates on award travel on AA
    Can redeem miles for select domestic trips with a 5K mile discount

1) is this a pretty standard offer?
    2) I assume that the 5K bonus miles per $6K spend is in addition to the miles I'd have accrued through the spending -- i.e. 11K miles for $6K in spend. Is that right?

I'm thinking to go ahead and sign up for this, since I want to do a Platinum Challenge later this year. My local airports (SFO/OAK) are not AA hubs, but I have 300K BA miles that I want to use for international travel, and need to get One World elite status, so AA seems the way to do it.

I can certainly do the $750 spend for 30K miles; since I have about a $3K monthly household spend, I just have to decide which card builds up the best return for it. I've been using AMEX Rewards, and I suspect I'll stick with it -- the AA deal gives me a bit less than 2 miles per dollar of spend, and AMEX pretty much matches that while offering more flexibility.

All thoughts or info on this offer welcome!

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a few variations on what Citi and AA are offering. One of the more popular ones seems to be an offer for 75,000 miles that has expired, but folks over on FT report they're still signing up for it. LINK I'd look at that before signing up for what you've been offered. I seem to get offers from Citi/AA every week or two, though right now don't need AA miles and have a couple non-AA cards. If you miss this offer you'll no doubt be getting plenty more down the line.

3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also received this offer. It was not appealing to me at all. The suggestion by Tom is better for you. You can get 75,000 AA miles for $ 1500 spend in 6 months. If you have a business or are starting one you can get an additional biz card for 75,000 miles for the same spend requirements. Thus, 153,000 miles for "only" $ 3,000.00. If you maxed out for the 60,000 offer you received your spend for bonus miles would be $ 36,750. Whoa.

Good luck OP.:)

MaryDarling and miles and smiles like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have never had a Citi AA card, you can actually get 150K AA miles by getting 2 personal cards by applying for the Visa and the AMEX on the same day. Details are in post # 2 in Tom's link above.
    The offer you got, Mary, is pretty standard and is poor.

MaryDarling likes this.
  5. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, everyone. I'm just getting into this, and am grateful for the help in learning what's a good offer and what's not. You know I'm new at this because this is the first time I've even OPENED the envelope from AA and Citi!

One more question: is there a limit on how many Citi cards one can have? My two oldest credit cards are a Citibank Gold Visa and a Diner's Club card. I never use either one, but hold on to them because they are my oldest cards and ensure I have a lengthy credit history. (I do have one card, non-Citi, that's even older.)

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if there is a limit, but I have two personal Citi AA cards and one business Citi AA cards. I'm sure others have more Citi cards than me.

MaryDarling likes this.