60k bonus miles for Canadian Amex plat is still alive

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Deal2020, Sep 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ACMM likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a good reward for 1K spend ... $600.00 equivalent! Too bad I already have an AX Platinum :)

Deal2020 likes this.
  3. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    s
    I got this card with this promo and I like it a lot because I can bring my family to lounges with the plat card. The annual fee is high but it is a great deal for the first year. People on Kijiji are buying aeroplan miles for 1.4 cents/mile so 60k miles can get you $840 cash, so the bonus miles alone covers the annual fee. The $200 travel credit per calendar year is extra. Hope I can get the second $200 in January next year.

ACMM likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    The $200 is per calendar year - so yes in Jan 2015 you will be able to book something and apply the 200$ against it for that year.

5. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a canadian card this is about as good as it gets! If I was canadian I would iconsider jumping on it

ACMM likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had had the AX platinum for over 15 years ... the recent raise in cost was hard to swallow I must admit, but the 200 per calendar year makes it more palatable, and then the AX travel consultant I use for personal travel is top notch so that helps. Then events like a dinner this evening (5 courses with wine pairings) for a mere pittance of a cost really do make the card very good for me....

londoncalling likes this.
  7. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    The free valet parking at certain airports like YYZ plus the 15% discount are worthwhile if one flies a lot. I got over $300 back last year and am on target for a similar amount this year. I don't pass on that discount since no one pays for my card membership but me.

Deal2020, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point! I do not drive to the airport so do not think of that benefit ... good one!

londoncalling likes this.
  9. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the priority line for security is also a big benefit.

ACMM and londoncalling like this.
  10. NoahVail

NoahVail Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...beyond those mentioned (which I've benefited from all), numerous movie premieres in YYZ, Priority Pass, 10% off Westjet flights (thought I'd sneak that into the AC forum), Cloud 10 gift certificates (great Xmas presents), Centurion Lounge access, transfer to Avios for 9K NA short-hauls, Platinum Travel Service (size your trip on ITA and then let them do the work). Best card in my wallet (yes, I do have a Capital One too). Now if they'd only drop the forex fees like they did for the US Card...

11. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1, the only non forex fee CDN card I've seen was the Amazon.ca card....not particularly attracting.

ACMM likes this.
  12. NoahVail

NoahVail Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...which is the one I use as it has no annual fee. Chase also has a Marriott and Sears card with no forex, but annual fees.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you don't have status, yes, I agree (same as the lounge access, with status it's less of a benefit).

The first year is a good deal, but ongoing it's still $700/year. $200 travel credit, and I would get about $200 in parking rebates, but that still leaves $300/year to justify. Too much for me, I think, to carry another card in my wallet.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... but if it is the first card in your wallet, well worth it :)

tomh009 likes this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... not to mention the new Centurion lounge access now in DFW and LGA and soon to be in SFO and in 2015 in MIA :)