6 hours in Zurich

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Junca, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any recommendations for a long layover in May? We will have over a 9 hr layover in ZRH. Want to hop the train and wander around town. What are your top ideas?

2. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to try a bunch of Swiss beers, there is a pub Brasserie Federal in the Hauptbahnhof. They are little too skewed to the large brewers and the French speaking Cantons (where a lot of the interesting beer is being brewed) are under represented. But they always seem to have some interesting Appenzeller beers as well as beers from Boxer from Lausanne.

sobore, Junca, flospi and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Srpunglii has great chocolate. I'm embarrassed to say that I blew through the last of my euros one time at some no-name chocolate factory near Lugano instead of saving it for the Sprunglii store at ZRH.

Other than that, I didn't actually spend much time there. I only had a 5 hour layover, and I was with friends who were super paranoid about getting back in time. Fortunately, the trains are quite reliable.

sobore and Junca like this.
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im hoping to do the same 5 or 6 hours in town on a layover in May. I'll keep track of this thread to learn the good stuff. I could only drink beer for 4 or 5 hours, need to find somethign else to fill the time.[​IMG]

5. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's loads of things to do... Buy some Luxemburgerli, take a walk along the lake, sit in a restaurant on the river bank and enjoy a coffee, come to the ZRH Stammtisch if it's on the day, have a look at the Landesmuseum, take a train up to Uetliberg for a nice view of the are and have your coffee up there...

kwai and Junca like this.
  6. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a quick sampler, take the train from the airport to the main station. Get off, head to the river Limmat, cross over the bridge and then turn right to follow the river upstream towards Lake Zurich. It's an easy 30-60min walk depending on your speed, and you can either stroll along the river directly (Limmatquai) or one block to the left, in the old town (Niederdorf).

As you reach the lake by Bellevue Square, head for the Vorderer Sternen grill for the best veal sausage and roll in town. Eat it, cross over the the river on Quaibrücke, continue on across Bürkliplatz and then turn right into Bahnhofstrasse, the main shopping street.

Follow it for a few minutes to Paradeplatz, where you'll find previously mentioned Sprüngli chocolate store and café - stop for a warm drink and buy plenty of chocolates from the store. Then continue walking down Bahnhofstrasse for another 30-40min while browsing the stores. You'll eventually end up right back at the train station, from where you can get on one of the frequent trains back to the airport.

Enjoy the little big city!

dhammer53, JetSet, kwai and 3 others like this.
  7. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As it was a lazy afternoon and no work coming my way, I took some time to visualize bits of airolis and my ideas.
    Milepoint ZRH City walk

cchuang1980, JetSet, Junca and 2 others like this.
  8. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is magnificent!

kwai and flospi like this.
  9. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would echo the Sprungli reccommendation. Last time I had this sort of layover, we had a great breakfast at their restaurant upstairs. Lots of great pastries, if that's your sort of thing!

10. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow~ thanks so much for all the great responses. I am looking at a guide book too (one I already had for all of Switzerland as I was hoping to get there sooner than this year). These are much more direct and useful ideas. We will LOVE the walking part. After traveling IAD-FRA-ZRH and that night to travel ZRH-BKK, walking around ZRH is just what we need. flospi - fantastic map which will be an often referred to post on MP, I'm sure.

Now, the train up to Uetliberg is just regular metro? (Trying to dechiper metro maps of Zurich)

kwai and flospi like this.
  11. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it the S10 local train, which leaves in the underground. Platform 1 or 2 if I'm not totally mistaken.

kwai and Junca like this.
  12. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed it does - although it will run over-ground for most of its journey afterwards. It's the steepest adhesion-only train in Switzerland, by the way.

If you consider going to Uetliberg, buy a return ticket from the airport to Uetliberg. It will be valid for 24h and include all the public transit (train, bus, streetcar, boats) within the city of Zurich as well. Public transit link

flospi and Junca like this.
  13. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't be May 14th by any chance? 4 or 5 hours is a bit long beer drinking for me ... then again they do have good brews!

14. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. I'll be heading back to the states on May 3..... and then back to SE Asia on May 8. Long layovers scheduled each way.

15. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not make a small Layover DO and see who else from the local frequent fliers shows up?

17. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm socially inept, but may give it a try (I have done a few DOs though, I had fun but am not memorable to anyone else [​IMG])

flospi likes this.
  18. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, well, most of the times I have the best discussions with those people who are not the centre of attention.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go into one of the very elegant jewelry and watch stores along the main shopping street leading away from the main train station to purchase a Swatch; some of the fancy stores carry them and you can usually tell from the window. Be sure to have it gift wrapped.

20. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice.

Does anyone know if the farmer's market at Burkliplatz is still held on Friday mornings?

21. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Three words:
    Rösti, Rösti, and Rösti - you can't go with out having some.

And some more
    The Kunsthaus has a huge Giacometti exhibit and was a must see for me.