6% cash back at grocery stores, $150 bonus cash back, more.......

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by miles and smiles, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    The greatest cash back I have seen anywhere is the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, which gives 6% back on all purchases at grocery stores. This includes purchases of gift cards. So, if the grocery stores you shop at offer gift cards, there will be many ways to expand your 6% cash back.
    There is an additional bonus of $150 cash back after you make at least $1000 of purchases within the first 3 months of having the card. This is on top of the 6%.
    Also you receive 3% cash back at department stores and gas stations, and 1% cash back everywhere else.

Three caveats I know of:
    There is a $75 annual fee, which is charged in your first statement.
    Purchases of groceries from stores like Walmart and Costco do not qualify as they are not coded by AMEX as grocery stores.
    Cash back can be redeemed only in multiples of $25.

I've had this card for a year now, and I have saved myself many hundreds of dollars.

More info is here:
    http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/side-by-side/bluecashever-bluecashpref/28000?ccsgeep=28000&psCCSG=CCSG_Google_LE_Blue Cash Preferred

You can apply directly using the link above, or you can let me refer you, and I will receive $75 cash back and you will receive all the benefits mentioned above.
    If you would like a referral from me, open a conversation with me and send me your first name and email address. Thanks.

SC Flier, paladin87, tondoleo and 4 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I mean it's US only!:(

tondoleo and miles and smiles like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    This offer is probably intended to attract the Chase Freedom users. Could be a good deal for those who put all their spending on one card (to justify the annual fee).

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, forgot to mention that. :oops:

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One doesn't have to put all of their spending on this card to justify the $75 fee. I've had this card for a year, received $50-75 cash back each month, and also used a variety of other cards for points and miles. And I am a single, retired person with very modest expenses.

LizzyDragon84, kyunbit and tondoleo like this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are the rewards on this card paid in cash or MR points, as on some other AmEx accounts?
    Thanks.

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Rewards are in cash, which can be redeemed for statement credits, gift cards and various items for sale.

tondoleo and MX like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if I got my math right, the first $1250 in grocery spend covers the $75 fee.

I am currently using my Hilton Amex for grocery store spend (and yes, I occasionally buy gift cards there). 6 points per dollar. I value HHonors points at less than 1c/point, but the card is fee-free and if I reach $20k annual spend, I get Gold status. On the other hand, cash is more flexible than HHonors points. So the math gets a bit tricky here for me.

9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually the $150 bonus cash back covers the annual fee for the first two years.
    But yes, $1250 in grocery store purchases will cover the annual fee.

tondoleo likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, I had missed that part when I did my math.

I still have some months to go to reach my $20k on my HHonors Amex, but then I might be interested in a referral and switch to cash for a while. My hotel points balances have built up quite nicely this year and I really need to start burning down my airline miles balances.

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Referrals come and go with this card, as AMEX doesn't make them available all the time. The card, though, will likely be around for a long time. Bonus was $100 when I got it last May.

12. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get Hilton Gold for free via a variety of means. Thus, the Amex BCP may be better for you once you have crunched your numbers.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...ld-free-hilton-hhonors-gold-still-be-working/

Thanks to gleff for posting this link again.

Nice find and good luck getting referral bonuses m&s.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am currently Gold thanks to the VISA promo last year. It sure that it would allow me to extend for 2013 by using it again. I could also upgrade to the Surpass card and get Gold, but that's my plan for next year(to get Gold through 2014).

14. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    In your math you are probably ignoring the fact that you could have used a different card and got up to 5% cashback too.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's kind of a pointless calculation. I could do a number of different things that I didn't figure into the equation. I think I was just trying to get a sense for how long it would take to before I would actually start earning something after paying the $75.

MX, kyunbit and miles and smiles like this.