5k miles short on united for status.

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by countgary, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm very new to this, so apologies in advance. But, I literally just got back from sfo-nrt-mnl round trip on ANA where I thought I was only going to get maybe 5k miles due to fare class, but it looks like the whole 14k posted to my mileage plus. As such I'm only 5200 short from getting silver status.
    Any advice on a quick run I can make for not too much? It will probably have to be on UA, as only two of my flights were on them so far.
    I'm out of sfo, so sfo,sjc, oak all work.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say if they might be cheap but you can get the right number of miles on flights from SFO to Hawaii or the east coast. Last two weeks in December are usually $$.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you plan on traveling a great deal on United next year, silver may not mean that much to you or be worth the cost to obtain.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    This post has some links to tools that may help. Indeed, these last two weeks of December are tough, especially since most good fares require some advance purchase.

I concur with marcwint55: silver isn't worth that much unless you're doing lots of UA travel. And if you are doing lots of UA travel, you'll have silver based on 2014 flying anyway (well, with a PQD requirement). Contemplate: the only reliable thing you'll get is a 25% mileage bonus. Since you'll get silver anyway after 25K miles in 2014 (again, assuming you meet the PQD threhhold), the only "extra" bonus from starting the year with silver is .25*25K or 6250 miles. Is that worth a mile run? No. It might be worthwhile to have E+ for those 25K miles, but it's hard to justify a transcon mile run just for that, especially when you'll be sitting in the back for the mile run.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    marcwint55 likes this.
  5. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info. I was kind of wondering whether it would be worth it.

marcwint55 likes this.