50th Wedding Anniversary Trip!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Robert M. Brownson, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have a problem! I have travelled for decades, all over the World and still love to travel. My wife and I have travelled internationally together and lived in Europe early in our marriage.. She does not want to go back to Asia where I worked as a consultant for nearly 20 yrs, commuting from Boston. So, the question is WHERE TO GO that would be fun, romantic, beautiful, comfortable, great food, and moderate++ affordable. (Does not have to be 5 or 6 Star.) Any suggestions for our occasion would be appreciated. Where have you couples gone that has been most rewarding as a travel experience???
    Merci, danke, domo arrigato, gamsamnida, spacibo, gracias, terima kasih, sie sie, obrigado, etc.
    bob

Freddie Listo likes this.
  2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the anniversary!

Do you have a stash of miles/points to use? Having free hotel or flights can allow you to splurge on great food in Paris or a US destination of San Francisco.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  3. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    best value after asia would be central/south america.
    africa?
    indian ocean?

4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations! My parents celebrated their 51st this month.

There are so many options depending on what you are looking for in a trip, coastal, islands, mountains, warm, hot, cold, big city, small town, many people, quiet. Give us a few more hints and I am sure we can send you off on a memorable 50th anniversary trip.

Not to suggest that you and the wife are old (you must be at least 65) but are there any physical conditions that need to be accomodated when traveling?

6. We are in our 70's but very fit. I was commuting to Singapore and Seoul monthly until I was 71. We love mountains and beaches. I have 700,000 miles to use for air and hotels. I have thought about a few of the European river cruises, especially the Danube. I suppose this was silly of me to post this question, but I guess I am looking for womeone to tell me about some totally memorable trip/experience. Has anybody been to the Seychelles? Thanks for your tips so far,
    bob

7. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    We haven't been on a European river cruise since the 1980s but relatives recently have and loved it. There are also smaller river barge cruises, both crewed and do-it-yourself. We rented a 26-foot boat with another couple in France a couple of years ago and explored both the Saône River and a couple of its canals, complete with self-operated locks.

We've also enjoyed Baltic and Mediterranean cruises. Speaking of affordability, we want to spend more time in Eastern Europe after very enjoyable visits to the Czech Republic and Slovakia. One of most memorable recent trips was a stay at the Hilton Moorea Resort last year. That consisted for us largely of amazing snorkeling in warm water down the ladder from our over-water bungalow. You can find photos in our travel blog (in my signature) or elsewhere.

Those are just a few of our own favorite trips (and virtually all of our trips are favorites in one way or other), and even if you can definitely rule one or more of them out, it'll help you to arrive at a trip that's going to be right for the two of you. :)

Robert M. Brownson likes this.
  8. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    maldives is the best beach value. there are also two hotel boats that let you book by cabin. (only such offering in the world.) banyan tree velaa and four seasons explorer.

as you mentioned there is also seychelles, plus mauritius. if you go there, do NOT fly air seychelles.