50K offer?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Dad to GO, Jan 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife has now gotten a 3rd offer of 50K points for opening a personal AMEX gold card... I have never gotten an offer for ANY of these cards and I actually have never opened any of the Membership rewards AMEX card. I planned to start diving into these cards/rewards program this year but was thinking about holding off for my wife. Since she keeps getting these offers should I change plans and have her get this card or should I just wait and assume the offers will keep coming? I assume that 50K for the personal card is a pretty good deal?

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Normal sign up bonus is 25K points for the personal card. There have been higher than 50K but they are rare. If I had the offer, I would not wait.

wrxmom and boondr like this.
  3. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    iolaire and autolycus like this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the underlying site linked in the fatwallet thread a reputable site? To get the 100k Platinum and 50k Gold offer, you have to enter your name, address and SSN on a page at creditcards.com.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just used the site, I can not vouch for it but assume its good. Personally it just showed Amex cards Did anyone else see other cards? Makes me think I could have private browsed to Amex and gotten the card that I applied for...

6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    My concern was for the security of giving them PII. If I bother to check for offers, I'll try to remember to report back if I get something non-Amex. I'm not eligible for MR bonuses because I currently have a Platinum, but my wife is...

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So using that link I applied for both the 50 and 100 offers, was approved for both. First time applications for these cards, converted a hilton card level in aug, lots of inquiries last month...

Anyone have experance with getting both at the same time? If not I'll report back in three months.

autolycus likes this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. You'll definitely have to report the results of that experiment. 150k MR points is worth quite a bit, especially if they offer a good transfer bonus after you'd gotten them.

iolaire likes this.
  9. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iolaire,
    Their rules state that you cannot receive both. While you still may receive them both I would show caution and prioritize the 100,000 point bonus first and then go for the 50,000 in case they deny it.

iolaire likes this.
  10. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    PS I applied for the platinum under the promotion and have already received the 100k bonus. If you can put the spend on the cards immediately you will know much sooner than 3 months.

iolaire likes this.
  11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know of the best offer to sign up for the AmEx Gold Card (not the Biz one)??

12. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEX is really killing my churn plans for this year! First they have the 100K Platinum offer and now they have the 75K Gold Business offer... UGH!! I really wanted to wait until Feb to do my churn but I think I may get sucked in to this weekend! Darn you AMEX why must you have such lucrative offers!