50k bonus miles for signing up for Alaska Airlines Visa Signature

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by captainsmilepants, Dec 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. captainsmilepants

captainsmilepants Member

Status Points:
    I just received an email for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card. It is 25k miles on signup, plus 25k miles after spending $1000 in 3 months.

While on principle I usually don't signup for annual fee credit cards (this one has a $75 annual fee), the combination of the $50k bonus miles plus the annual companion fare seems too good to pass up.

Does anyone have experience downgrading this card after a year to get rid of the annual fee? Or perhaps the companion fare is worth the fee on an ongoing basis. If you use the companion fare, it is certainly worth more than $75.

2. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    What did you do to elicit this offer?

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. captainsmilepants

captainsmilepants Member

Status Points:
    I received it through email. The subject line is:
    Exclusive Western Washington Offer: Find Out Where 50,000 Miles Can Take You

So it's obviously targeted. I think it might be part of the Delta/Alaska war...since Delta recently sent me an offer for 50K signup + 50K w/ 4k spend at Delta.

Seems like this kind of offer doesn't come around that often, so I'm thinking it might be worth it, despite the annual fee. Does anyone know if you can downgrade the Alaska card after the first year to get rid of the annual fee (and still keep the miles)?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

This card can be churned. I am presently on my fourth card with a bonus being given each time.

bluefire likes this.
  5. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    How often do you churn? I received Alaska Airlines card recently and wondering how to go about the next steps.

6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've churned it after 90 days before without having to close previous card. Can you post the link from the email? Curious if anyone can use it. In the past they have targeted Northern California residents and everyone could use the link.

7. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ughhhh I wish this offer could come to me, I'd be ALL ON IT

sharris503 likes this.
  8. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received this offer too, but it clearly states that

"*Bonus Mile Offer: This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer and is valid for a limited time by invitation only. This offer is not valid for customers that have applied for this product in the last 12 months."

I checked the 25k AS offer, it doesn't have this language in the T&C.

Tough call.

9. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. captainsmilepants

captainsmilepants Member

Status Points:
    So I signed up for this card via the online app. I received a response that they couldn't make a decision at this time, and would let me know within 30 days. Is this a de facto rejection? Should I call their 1-800 number to follow up, or just wait and see what happens?

11. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It just means you could not be approved instantly. Give it a day and call the credit analyst department, 1-866-458-8805. I hope you are approved, it is a fantastic offer.

12. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI, reports from TOBB are that people outside Washington are getting approved.

13. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

funny, I called Delta for flight info and AMEX offer was only 30,000 miles which Delta was pushing.

You claim Delta Skymile AMEX card is a 100k offer??????? If I can get no annual fee waived 1st yr then this is a good deal like the past 2 years with Citi and Capital One cards which were 100K signups..

14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The obvious question with offers like these is whether the bonus will be honored for people who weren't actually targetted. It could go either way. If you are approved I would immediately SM and ask to confirm the offer before you put any spend on the card.

15. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty confident people will get it. I signed up for a 40k offer a couple years back that was target to northern california residents and I got the miles no problem. I think BOA is pretty good about honoring the deal you applied for.

16. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've already got the Alaska Airlines VISA. Applied last April. With the modified T&C I feel a little nervous about applying for this, i.e. whether I'd get the bonus. Opinion?

17. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In that case you would probably not qualify per the terms. You can apply for one ofI the other offers.

18. captainsmilepants

captainsmilepants Member

Status Points:
    Just to follow up, I called the Bank of America phone system and it told me I was approved! Just for reference, the number posted above for the credit analyst department doesn't work anymore. The number on the application is 1.800.932.2775.

I don't love the idea of paying $75/year for a credit card, but the 50,000 miles + companion pass should make up for that.

19. captainsmilepants

captainsmilepants Member

Status Points:
    Delta Skymiles card is 100k offer, but you have to put $4,000 in spend at Delta. You get 50,000 miles on signup I think, then 25k for first $2k in spend at Delta, and 25k for second $2k in spend at Delta.

It's a good deal if you are going to make a big purchase at Delta in the near future. However, 50k miles at Delta is a lot less attractive to me than 50k at Alaska + companion fare.

euromannn likes this.
  20. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is real easy to recoup the $75 annual fee. Unlike most companion tickets, you don't actually have to be flying for a companion to use it. The companion ticket is more like a coupon for a second ticket at $99 plus taxes. I've churned this card a few times and do not always have need of the companion ticket. I often have friends or family flying to Hawaii so I will offer to book their flights for them with my companion ticket. They pay me back the cost of the airfare plus my annual fee. Everyone is happy because I earn miles through the booking and get my annual fee back and they essentially get two tickets to hawaii at a buy one get one free price.

21. captainsmilepants

captainsmilepants Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, sharris503. That's helpful information. We go to Hawaii and Seattle fairly often, so I think we will find a way to use the companion fare. However, if not, it's good to know that it can be booked for others as well. I have family who definitely can use it.

22. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I miss the Citi & Capital One 100K point offers from 2 years ago.

Seems easier if you have money to pump $100k into Fidelity and get 50,000 points very year!

23. milestomemories

milestomemories Active Member

Status Points:
    The application seems to have been pulled. Looks dead unfortunately.

24. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears so. Congrats to those who made it. FYI, for those looking for information on how to use AS I started a series about it. http://bit.ly/IQ816s

25. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that is per person, so on a joint account, both husband and wife can get 50K miles/year. The money needs to stay there for 6 months for account holders to be able to do it once every year.