5000 mile bonus for MileagePlus Dining

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kevberhow, Jul 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received an email announcing a 5000 mile bonus for making 10 dines between now and August 15th. Big bonus if you dine out a lot at the participating restaurants!

2. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    After reading more into the fine print, looks like a targeted offer and requires each dine to be at least $40, which would mean a $400 minimum investment. Not as great of deal as I originally thought!

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least where I am... a dinner for 2 at any of the places on the list sets you back at least $60. At VIP you're also getting 5 miles/$, so I've been averaging 350-400 miles/dine with the odd big one if I can plan a team dinner and put it on my card.

So $400 spend = 5000 Bonus + 2000 VIP + 400 UA Spend = 7400 miles = ~5.5CPM. That's on the high end of what I would have spent on a mileage run back in the day, but the VIP status at lower spend levels makes it *better*. If you're an "Online Member" the same spend is 6600 Miles @ ~6CPM and if you're only a "Member" it's 5800 Miles @ ~6.8CPM. Sadly, if I dine at my average levels (~$80/visit) the numbers are much much worse! 10 dines @ $80 ($800 Spend) = 5000 Bonus + 4000 VIP + 800 UA Spend = 9800 Miles = ~8.2CPM!

Looks like the best deal would be 10 dines at VIP and spending the bare minimum $40. Not a great deal, but if you're adding to your $25K annual spend while you're at it, if you eat out a lot, and if there's good places on the list, you might as well get some extra miles for it. That said, I wouldn't use this as purely a strategy to get miles. You can buy miles from UA at 3.5-4CPM so there's certainly cheaper ways to get miles if that's your end goal.

We're fortunate that several of our favorite places are on the list. So we actually get quite a few miles from the dining rewards. I just see it as a bonus, not a way to get miles. If we're going to go out and have a good time, and spend $80 it's nice to get 400 miles @ 2CPM on top of a great meal.

PointsCashMiles and kevberhow like this.
  4. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    My offer is slightly different: 10,000 bonus award miles for 10 dines of $40 or more before August 15.

5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    10,000 makes the numbers at higher spend levels better. That'd bring me up to 14,800 Miles @ 5.4CPM using my previous example.

Ironically, I have the VIP status and didn't get an offer. LOL. Wonder if they're trying to entice people that don't use it much? Are either of you fairly active?

6. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my case, I suspect it's because I was active for a while a few years back and even met a couple campaign challenges such as this offer but have barely been active since then with just a couple qualifying dines since then.

7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the 10,000 miles for 10 dines offer; DH, who has been slightly more active of late, got one for 2,500 miles after 5 dines.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am VIP and just got the 2500 miles / 5 dines offer, which, any way one looks at it, is awful at, at least, 8 cpm. I would buy PQMs at that rate!

9. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was fairly active earlier this year especially on a two week trip to Hawaii. I tried a bunch of new places and got VIP pretty much in those two weeks alone. I recently switched to AA dining when they offered the 2000 mile signup bonus after dining just one time at $30 and completing a review. I should switch back to MileagePlus now. Most of my dines in my area area are less than $40 per dine, and I will be out of the country for the majority of the promotion period, so I will not even be attempting it.

10. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Topic for another thread, but you should stay at AA, LOL. You'll probably find more of your former/fellow UA folks with you at AA in the coming months.

kevberhow likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the same 5k offer from AA.

12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a member, but it's just gravy for me. I live outside the USA, so when I am up here (currently in Chicago, going to SFO and DFW before going home), there are many places I normally eat anyway, so I may eat there a little more often as a result, but I calculate the CPM at $0.00.

I'm going to eat where and what I want to eat when I eat out, but when I have two or more options of equal quality from which to choose, why not choose the one that gives me miles? Kind of like shopping through airlines' shopping portals. I won't pay more for something just to get the miles, but if I can find an equal or better price from a merchant I trust where I'll earn x number of miles for making the purchase, that's a no brainer.

Often I even save sales tax from buying something out of my state of registered residence. That's a big deal on some big ticket items. I still value money more than miles, but if I can save money and earn miles at the same time, count me in! :)

webdes03 likes this.
  13. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm the same way... I use the shopping portals quite frequently too... especially for things like VitaminShoppe vitamins. Sure I could drive up the road and get them in 30 minutes, but why not get miles. It's the same price online as in the store, and there's always free shipping.

14. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received the 10K offer. I might stumble into a participating restaurant every other month, but I rarely spend $40 for a meal. In fact, the only time I am eating out is on the road, and then it is usually catching something in an airport. I doubt that Mrs Radonc and I eat dinner out together more than twice a month.
    So I would have to change my lifestyle a lot to qualify for this. Probably will not happen.

15. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received the 10k bonus miles offer. I eat out while on the road for work (3 days every week) and a lot of dinners go over $40.

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No bonus offers for either of us here yet.

17. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also got the 2500 mile offer and would be ok with it except that there's only one or two restaurants in the program worth going to in my area.

18. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine literally just came... 10K for 10 dines by August 15th.

19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the offer for 10k... so I'll definitely do that here in ATL. :D

webdes03 likes this.
  20. festdave

festdave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine is only 2,500 for 5x$40 dines, but I use MPDining a lot and I guess they feel they don't really need to encourage me. I agree that I won't deliberately spend more just for those miles, but I do eat out a lot, and it provides a good way to narrow down choices, especially if I'm in an unfamiliar city. It does help that in Houston there are plenty places in the program.

webdes03 likes this.
  21. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not on the list, but in case you haven't been there. I was in ATL a couple weeks ago and went to Noche up in Virginia Highland. Super crowded, but the food was all delicious and tasted very fresh. Some of the best empenadas I've had. I'd certainly recommend it.

http://h2sr.com/noche_highlands/

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I got the grand prize: 5000 HHonors points for 10 dines of $40 each. LOL!

(nothing from the UA Dining program where I actually credit a dine just about every week, alas never over $20-25 so it wouldn't help anyway)

23. festdave

festdave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people are reporting similar offers from other dining programs; I'm signed up with WN and DL as well, and my profiles there aren't offering anything.

24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally got the emails for both of our accounts. I was offered 2,500 points and my partner 10,000. He does have higher status in the dining program than I do.

25. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got. 5000 from AA