500 mile upgrades

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chef4u, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be losing my gold status this year [​IMG] and will still have 6 x 500 mile upgrades in my account. Without status, can I still use them?

2. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll only be able to use them on a full-fare ticket if you don't have status, and even then, you'll be behind all elites in terms of priority. The good thing is that they'll remain in your account should you re-attain status in the future--you don't just lose them.

arkleseizure likes this.
  3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you will still be flying AA some, look at a Gold challenge starting after June 15. You can become Gold again, and it will last until Feb. 28, 2013. Your 500 mile upgrades will be usable again.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    or if flying with an elite AA person, you can apply your 500 mile upgrades to the elite's flight, then in turn they can apply their 500 mile upgrades to your flight. I've done this numerous times, there seems to be a 50/50 mix of emotions from the ticket/gate agent, 50% are in the 'good move' camp, while 50% are in the 'PO'd camp'.

5. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I will keep that in mind.