500 Mile Upgrades & EXP

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Nov 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    All,

Hello. Thankfully, once DEQM shows up, I'll roll over to EXP. :D

As an overseas AAdvantage member, I can "cash in" my 500 mile upgrades for RDMs. Does anyone know if I lose this option once EXP kicks in?

Thanks!

:)

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the cash-in rate? I'd like to take advantage of this =)

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    500 miles/certificate. Based on what I read on FT, the certs will remain in my account. In order to trade them in, you have to demonstrate you can not realistically use them. Living in the UK, that's easy in my case.

4. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone's situation is different, but it might be good to hold to all, or at least some, so that if you do any domestic travel in US w/ a companion then you can upgrade them w/ 500's. To me, miles have a value of about 1.5 cpm, or $7.50, much less than the cost of buying E500's.

There is some risk that AA could change the rules and eliminate E500's, or eliminate the reported conversion opportunity for non-residents, leaving you w/ nothing.

5. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    You won't find the option to trade in 500-milers goes away when EP kicks in (it should be the exact opposite, if anything, if ya think about it) but you'll also find that -not- all members will be allowed to trade-in and the criteria for same is not published (or even consistent) Living overseas is not automatic qualification for same. Almost automatic for same is purchase history of all all/most all premium domestic fares and/or rare/no history of use of 500-milers.