500-mile upgrade deposit time and expiration

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Oct 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I looked around for a thread with this info but didn't see one, so here goes...

I see that I qualify for four 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 qualifying miles flown, but there is no mention of expiration or when they will be deposited. I hit my last 10,000 miles in September, and I also have four purchased 500-mile upgrades in my account. Does it take a certain amount of timefor the upgrades to be deposited? Do they expire?

Thanks,

zpaul

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Sticker" upgrades, which these would be, don't expire, last I knew. As for when they are deposited, mine have always gotten in very quickly after qualification. Here's the detailed language on qualification -- Did you earn all these 10,000 after March 1 of this year? : "AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members earn four 500-mile electronic upgrades for every 10,000 qualifying base miles flown (including guaranteed minimum miles) during your membership year (March 1 or the date you qualify for elite status, through the last day of February)."

JohnDeere19 and zpaul like this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I seem to remember some sort of orange upgrade stickers back in the TWA days...suddenly the term makes sense!

All of the miles were earned between August-September this year (I just transfered to AA from another airline, so unfortunately all of those miles went to waste :( ).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Miles Towards Upgrade counter should show the number of qualifying miles. If the poster qualified for elite status after March first, miles toward upgrades would start from that date instead of March 1.

5. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Instead of starting a new thread, hope you guys don't mind if I ask a follow-up question.

As a Platinum member, I still have to deal with stickers (hopefully not for long). The membership year ends Feb 29, 2012 this year, and on March 1 they wipe the counter.

I have 3 RT flights the weekend prior (Feb 23, 24, 25, 27). Since they count for the date flown, it'll be for the current membership year, if I understand correctly. I'm expecting to end the membership year Feb 29th with 50,021 so that's enough for another batch of 4 stickers... I just don't want to see the last flight applied to the March totals.

Nothing to worry about, right? :)

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    With computers, people and general company nervousness, thre's always something to worry about. :) But in all seriousness I think you are going to be fine. The T&C that I just checked makes it clear that it should be date flown, not the date it hits the computer:

AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members earn four 500-mile electronic upgrades for every 10,000 qualifying base miles flown (including guaranteed minimum miles) during your membership year (March 1 or the date you qualify for elite status, through the last day of February). So, the more you fly, the more upgrades you earn.

Now, don't get greedy on some overbooked flight on Feb. 27 and accept an $800 voucher to get off and fly home on March 1, ya hear? :)