500 Free US Airways Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MilesFashionFood, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MilesFashionFood

MilesFashionFood Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,

This may have been posted, so this my be a re-post, but I came across this offer from US Airways.

500 miles if you install their toolbar and use it once

and then

1 mile for every 3 searches.

From my experiences, you can do the same search over and over and it will give you the miles.

Don't know if there is a cap on this, wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't, i mean it is US Airways.

Read More here:

http://milesfashionfood.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/500-free-us-airways-miles/

Thanks,

Meghan

Kalboz, mikeef and stpat1 like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I think there are a few threads about this under the US section. There's a limit of 100 miles per month (300 searches), after that you can continue to search but the miles won't increase.

I find that adding some randomization to the searches helps, otherwise you will eventually run into the "invalid search" thing and won't get mileage.

The only real caveats are that you have to use it for searching (switching the search engine to Yahoo) and some things like videos or images are obviously better found with Google, but you can always turn it off or just use Google directly if the search comes back empty.

3. MilesFashionFood

MilesFashionFood Active Member

Status Points:
    Cool, thanks for the info!

4. tekkk

tekkk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually got 1,000 miles since I have the credit card.

5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You also get 1000 miles if you have US Airways preferred status...miles take a few weeks to post.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Easy way to keep miles from expiring, thanks!

Question: Why is there a little gray circle that says "not earning?:"
    Mike

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earnings per mile depends on the merchant / website that you're visiting. When you go to a participating site (or go through their shopping portal) that changes to reflect that you're earning money when you shop.

mikeef likes this.
  8. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. YBL.

Mike

9. dinise

dinise Active Member

Status Points:
    thank you for the post. I don't fly US air much so its a nice way to keep actiivity in the account.

10. dinise

dinise Active Member

Status Points:
    How long did it take for your points to post?.

11. Kaiser
    Original Member

Kaiser Silver Member

Status Points:
    My toolbar enrollment bonus posted just over a month after my first search with it.

The monthly searches post between 5 and 10 days into the next month. The other toolbars (AA & United) take months to post the miles.

I noticed in April I was able to earn over the 100 mile limit so I did some extra searches in May and those posted as well... :)

Kalboz likes this.
  12. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I installed the USAir toolbar and it worked for a few days. Now all I get is "invalid search". I went and installed the American toolbar and using the same search terms I always get valid searches and miles. Anyone have this sort of experience?

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems if you search for the same items over and over you'll get invalid search, so you have to randomize your searches every now and then.

I think if you remove your history/cache you'll sort of reset the search history as well, but I think it's a crapshoot most of the time. If you search for Lady Gaga over and over and over, your first search will count, but the others probably won't, even if it's a few days later.

I was experimenting with using automated searching scripts with firefox/greasemonkey but I'm entirely too lazy to see it through. :)