50 min layover in lax AA terminal

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ClarkyBoy, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    All,

Due to changes in my schedule, i'm trying to get to a LAX-LIH flight leaving 9.10AM.
    I have to leave LAS that morning and the earlier AA flight is 7.10 arriving 8.20AM.
    I know 50 min is tight, but it should be same terminal, close by gates. crazy enough to work?

Few questions
    1. I have an option to leave LAS 6.40 on a delta flight arrive 7.45 but to a different terminal - so i have to get out go through security again in crazy LAX. Is that a better option?

2. Any advantage to being all on AA, a.k.a. hold the plane if the flight is a few min late etc (I'm a new Executive Platinum so don't know...).

3. The flights will be 2 seprate record locatores - does that matter? should i insist they cancel and re-book it all on one record locator?

Thanks everyone! (other option is driving 4 hours at 4am with a rental car, which i'm trying to avoid).

ClarkyBoy

2. FlyingSmurf

FlyingSmurf Active Member

Status Points:
    LAX has a nice flagship lounge if you are eligible (EXP+ADMCL). Otherwise I would just wait and watch planes until the boarding starts.

3. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    FlyingSmurf - thanks for the answer. not sure you understood my question (or i'm too tired :))
    I was worried i'd never make the flight with such a short layover, not the other way around :)
    ClarkyBoy

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you'll be fine. if LAS - LAX is not delayed. LAX T4 is pretty small ... looks like a mushroom. 50 min you'll be okay, prolly have enuf time to use bathroom and get a cup of coffee.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No access on domestic itineraries though, and last I checked Hawaii was still a state ;) :)

anabolism, malikguy and garyst16 like this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well some people in this country might disagree with you on that. Donald Trump and Orly Tate (sp?) Come to mind. :)

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I remember sitting next to a family waiting to board ORD-HNL who were discussing changing currency when they arrived. :)

meegabroad, skyvan, SFOJFK and 2 others like this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    More than enough time to make it... you could probably walk the entire terminal 3-4 times in 50 minutes! Aloha!

anabolism and edekba like this.
  9. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Everyone! now here's to hoping the flight is on time :)

10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should have offered to excange it for them. Give them a better rate on the Hawaii dollars. :)

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi ClarkyBoy,

In this case, it's tight but doable. "Crazy enough to work" applies to schemes hatched by TV and movie characters attempting to solve a situation with an approach that is so far beyond the dictates of reason that its paradoxically succeeds. A 50 minute connection at LAX T4 just means that if you land on time, you'll have 20 minutes to get off the plane and to your new gate before boarding starts. If you land 20 minutes late, you'll still have 20 minutes to get off the plane and to your gate before they close the flight.

No. Why put yourself through the hassle of a terminal change at LAX?

Unlikely they will hold the plane just for you, but also very unlikely to need it. Advantages to being all on AA, even on different PNRs, is that you'll be in the same terminal, and AA may protect you if your inbound flight is really late. You can call the EXP desk and ask an agent to note in both PNRs that your connecting with the other one.

Being a single PNR means that AA will be obligated to protect you, but I think they'll take care of you anyway. Having the PNRs noted won't hurt.

Yeah, that would suck, plus the hassle of returning a rental at LAX.

What's ADMCL and how would it make ClarkyBoy eligible for the FL? If ADMCL is supposed to mean Admiral's Club, then, sure, he can dash in there for a quick pee before his flight.

12. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made it with 50 min to spare :) most accurate arrival in a long time (on the minute).
    thanks everyone!

garyst16 and anabolism like this.