50% Bonus on Hotel Point Transfers

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Steven Schwartz, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the email below from US Air today. While most of the hotel programs have pretty lousy transfers, such transfers have always been part of Starwood's strength. I haven't seen any examples given, but if my math is right, then 80,000 Starwood points, which would normally result in 100,000 US Air miles, would now yield 150,000 miles.

After what I had to go through to get my First Class seats on Lufthansa in December, I'm still concerned that US Air is more dedicated to selling miles than redeeming them, but if you need or want some, might be a great time.

Exclusive bonus: Get 50% more miles*
    Convert your hotel points to miles today.

Don't let your unused or unwanted hotel points go to waste. Convert them into Dividend Miles that you can use for award travel or First Class upgrades. And right now, you'll earn a 50% bonus. Hurry, you can only get your bonus from now through March 31, 2012.

See participating hotels [​IMG]

2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the daily transfer limit for Starwood points is 79,999, so the max you could get would be 79,999 (plus 15,000 bonus) = 94,999 * 1.5 = 142,498 (or 142,499, depending on rounding!), if I'm understanding correctly how the math works on this.

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be a good time for those people that were hoarding Club Carlson points from their promos to get rid of them now as well.

The people that got 50k from the giveaway before can turn them into 12k miles now. Hopefully you played along and got more. :)

daninstl likes this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just make sure you save back about 8,000 Club Carlson points for any potential Grand Slam hit later in the year.

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been planning GS2012 since GS2010.

It's terrible, but I take solace in knowing I'm not the only one. :)

6. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone done the SPG -> US transfer? I did mine over the weekend and received the confirmation email from SPG. However, nothing has yet posted to my DM account. IIRC from the Grand Slam, SPG transfers posted on Mondays. I'm a bit worried, since *next* Monday is April 2, past the March 31 promo deadline.

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, my SPG to US transfer went through fine yesterday. I initiated my transfer the weekend before (March 18 actually) Yours should go through next Monday, as it seems that transfers need to be made a few days before Monday.
    The March 31 US deadline is for when you initiated the transfer. So, you are fine.

And it appears that the bonus miles will post at a later date, as no one has reported receiving the bonus miles YET.

8. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, this is what I was hoping to hear, and it's consistent with GS rules. I did mine on Saturday (3/24), so based on your timeline, I should see the miles on 4/2.

9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's is what I would expect.
    "The terms and conditions state that the bonus miles will be awarded 6 to 8 weeks from the eligible activity date that posts between 3/11 and 3/31."
    I'm going to guess that the bonus miles will post sooner than that, but it's important to keep in mind that they might take a while.................

akcae likes this.
  10. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, thanks for pointing me back to T&Cs. I dug up my email from US and followed the link. Here are the relevant parts:

Only miles converted with an activity ('eligible activity date') date between March 11, 2012 and March 31, 2012 will earn a bonus. Earning bonus miles: Bonus miles are in addition to Dividend Miles awarded by hotel partners for points conversions. Only hotel points that are converted into Dividend Miles from March 11, 2012 – March 31, 2012 are eligible. Hotel bonus miles do not count towards Preferred status. Bonus miles will post 6-8 weeks from date of the eligible activity date. Dividend Miles members will earn only one bonus when they transfer hotel points into Dividend Miles during the promotion. Dividend Miles members will earn a 50% bonus. Eligible activity date: Eligible activity date is based on the date the qualifying partner records the mileage transaction, and not necessarily the date on which the transaction occurred.

So based on the above, a) Since SPG "recorded" my transfer on 3/25, that should be my "eligible activity date" so I'm good for the promo, and b) the bonus will post at the latest by 5/13.

Whew. :)

11. mediator

mediator Silver Member

Status Points:
    Missed this one. Any idea when US will start similar promotion again?

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They did one last year, so maybe sometime in 2013?

13. mediator

mediator Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just wait. Hope US's award chart is not undergoing major devaluation any time soon.

14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My bonus miles just posted. :)

cvarming likes this.
  15. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine just posted as well. Easiest promotion ever. With the Wyndham European promotion last summer I ended up with a net price under 0.4 cent per mile. :)