50,000 points to upgrade to Surpass card?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received an offer today via email suggesting that I upgrade to the Surpass card (I have the regular Amex), and it states:

Upgrade and enjoy:
    • Up to 50,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points when you spend US$3,000 with your Hilton HHonors Surpass Card in the first three months.3
    The (3) fine print reads:
    3. You will receive 50,000 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points (Bonus Points) if, within the first 90 days following the date on which your Card account was opened, you charge a total of US$3,000 or more of eligible purchases on your Hilton HHonors™ Surpass® Card from American Express (Card) ("Threshold Amount"). The 50,000 Bonus Points will be credited to your account 8–12 weeks after you reach the Threshold Amount. Bonus Points do not count toward elite tier qualification.

Previous upgrade offers from Amex/HHonors generally indicated that they would deduct any sign-up bonus I originally received from the x0,000 points bonus for the new card (e.g., I'd get 20k instead of 50k since I originally received 30k for my regular HHonors Amex). Have they stopped with this practice? I'd certainly be willing to pay $75 for 50k points (and likely would downgrade after a year)...

PedroNY, UA191 and aitchly like this.
  2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you do upgrade, ask if there is a code attached to the offer!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I might wait until next year, since it comes with a year of free Gold status, and I am already renewed through 2013, so that would be wasted. Of course, there's no guarantee that they'll offer 50k next year, and maybe they'll have another Visa Signature-style Gold give-away next year anyway.

4. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this offer certainly seems to dispatch with the deduction of previous sign on bonuses, but the "up to" language concerns me a little bit. It seems to be fairly binary; either you spend the $3k and get the 50k points or you don't.

Though, at this point I'm down to a $500 CL on that card anyhow, as they took something like $9k in my CL from that card to open up my business SPG card...

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You can, of course, re-allocate credit between your cards using the amex website again, something that was taken away for a couple of years but is great to have back!

arkleseizure and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep...I'll certainly need to do that before upgrading. An outstanding feature to have on a card issuer's website, for sure.

7. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would highly recommend the Surpass card if you travel a ton with Hilton or you are dedicated to their brand. I travel a lot for business (200+ nights) and having the Surpass card just boosted that point total through the roof. Some people complain about the annual fee, but I figure it's worth it. Plus if you spend $20,000 you get Gold for an additional year or $40,000 for Diamond. For someone like me, that is no added benefit. However, for someone who can't travel that much but can charge tuition, bills, etc. it might be a great benefit.

8. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great deal to get some extra Hilton points. Do share the four digit code on the board, as some other people maybe able to use it by calling Amex and asking them to attach that promo to their account.

Cheers,

PedroNY

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't recall seeing a code in the mail or URL, but I'll take another look.

10. kneemuh
    Original Member

kneemuh Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The gold status should compound I remember for a while I was gold for 2-3 years out. Things may have changed tho. When I upgraded I only got 45k I think but I called in asking about it and had no promo code, This was a while ago.

12. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you upgrade from the normal Hilton Amex to the Surpass card, do you keep the original card number? Also, for credit reports, do you lose the original card as an active account? Or, does the upgrade let you keep the card history? In other words, if I sign up today, will my credit report show this as a card I've had since 2012? Or, since 2010 when I open the regular Hilton Amex?

kenbo likes this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for the regular card in June of 2010, and received bonus points then (I think 50,000 points plus 2500 bonus points per stay for the first 8 stays). In the last 6 months of 2010 I charged over $20,000, and received Gold status. In December, 2011, I had charged over $40,000, and called in to convert the card to the Surpass card. I kept the same card number. I received another 50,000 bonus points, and I received Diamond status within a couple of days.

kenbo and deant like this.
  14. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a data point. Mrs. PedroNY had regular AMEX Hilton, upgrated to Surpass in 2010, receieved the bonus. Downgraded in December of 2011. Just this month (3 month later) AMEX sent her an offer to upgrade back to Surpass for 50,000 HH points with $3,000 spend in 3 months... Jumped on that one! So it appears that if AMEX does invite you again, they are willing to give you this bonus twice. Anyone else is experiencing it?

Cheers,

PedroNY

kenbo likes this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps some of us actually use our Surpass .. to qualify for Diamond even and cannot be bothered with the upgrade.. downgrade.. regrade..charade.:)