50,000 points for Chase Sapphire Preferred Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sun, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    50,000 points for Chase Sapphire Preferred.
    Need to spend $3,000 in the first 3 months.
    $95 annual fee waived for the first year.
    7% annual dividend on points earned.
    No foreign transaction fee.
    These points can be transferred at a 1:1 ratio to British Airways, Continental, Marriott and Priority Club.
    If you book travel through their website you can pay for it through the points at 1.25c per point.

More details in the benefits guide.

Credit for the link goes to artieshay@FW.

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    um another good promote from Chase! Too bad I just signed up for the BA one and having another 50K BA miles will screw up my plan lol I will have too many miles :p

Is 50K points the most they will give for signing up? They only had 25K when I checked last night

Casey Friday and Rlpro like this.
  3. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wrote a blog post highlighting the key benefits of this card. Even if you recently got the BA card, I'd recommend waiting 30 days from BA approval, but you should be able to get Sapphire as well. I have 4 Chase cards and I know people with 6.

You may get denied at first, but they are very lenient with reconsiderations and at worst they may make you switch around credit lines. IMHO its worth the 5 minute phone call to get 50,000 Hyatt/BA/Continental miles/points, especially since the fee is waived on this card for the first year.

Casey Friday, yaychemistry and Rlpro like this.
  4. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa card since February and received 25,000 sign-up points. I sent a secure message to Chase, but was denied. I replied and asked for a reconsideration. I received a reply that my message was forwarded to a different department. Today, I received another message saying that another 25,000 points have been added to my account. I checked my account and it's already there. I've used this card more than just to get the sign-up bonus, I don't know if that helped.

Chase also added 25,000 miles to my CO card a couple months ago. So, if you received a lower bonus when you signed up, send them secure message.

Casey Friday and Rlpro like this.
  5. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also had success seeking the additional 25,000 for my Sapphire Plus, as did my wife.

We tried this with a CO card earlier, and were denied on the basis that Chase considers this inside of 90 days, which we were not. I have seen others reference this as well, both with denials and acceptances.

In this case, we were within 90 days, and there was no difficulty, so this might actually be something of a policy (as much as a huge company like Chase with so many CSRs can have anyway).

Casey Friday likes this.
  6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the message that they needed to review my application. As suggested I called, they did want to know why I had signed up for so many cards recently (past year) but they did approve the Sapphire after they decreased the limit on my BA card.

Feeling pretty happy here as this card is likely going to be a keeper for me.

Casey Friday likes this.
  7. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Applied for the card last week and got the "need to review your application" response. It arrived today without any further action on my part. Probably because I put down "student" as my occupation, even though I'm a graduate student --- basically a full time researcher (with salary).

This will be my third card from Chase, but I've had a Chase card (Amazon.com) since 2003, and they have a history of granting me absurd amounts of credit for my income level. I'll have to work a little harder to actually spend $3k on this card in 3 months, but I think I can manage.

Casey Friday likes this.
  8. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got turned down. Not sure why. Capital One had no problem issuing me 25K in credit here recently. Time to call and have them reconsider!

9. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prior to calling: It's been posted here several times, but just to reiterate, prior to calling in, make sure you know the product and why you’re applying for it.

I was asked over a half-dozen questions including why I wanted the card & why I already opened "so many" cards this year (I was thinking "only 3" and she was thinking, "OMG, 3 already!!")

10. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how long it will take to get the card once approved?

11. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on whether you get immediate approval or not. My DH applied recently and go the review message and it was probably 30 days before he got his card. Only reason I know that is he applied for the SPG AMEX on the same day, that card was received and the first statement closed before the Chase Sapphire showed up.

12. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember sorry but I think it was in a couple less than a month tho

13. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or just write in. In response to my denial, I wrote a short letter (2 paragraphs) explaining why I really wanted it over the Continental card I had and proposed they either close that card or reallocate credit limit to open the Sapphire card. I addressed a few of their concerns (inquiries, new Chase cards) in the letter as well. Nearly a month after I mailed the letter, the Sapphire card showed up, with credit limit carved out of my Continental card.

14. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    To each their own, I'd just assume not write a letter or wait 6+ weeks for a card.

15. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah...I'll never get that 5 minutes of my life back! ;)

16. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    am in limbo waiting for response to Sapphire application, which I made while abroad, and still am for some time... didn't see any number to call to follow up...

Jimgotkp likes this.
  17. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    1-888-245-0625

Espan likes this.
  18. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks Jim

Jimgotkp likes this.
  19. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem. Did you get a decision?

Espan likes this.
  20. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    figured I'd wait till monday to call, thanks for checking, will let you know

21. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didnt get an instant approval either, I found out couple weeks later happening to check my chase account online and notice there was account for sapphire, I think a week later I got an email or letter in the mail saying I was approved

Jimgotkp likes this.
  22. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    My calls were all met by the same reply, "We'll let you know"

3 weeks later Chase called, had me shift some credit & I was approved.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  23. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called via Skype, and after some questions for verification was approved. Look forward to kicking the tires and giving it a spin.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  24. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear. You will hear a lot of compliments about the card. Be prepared. :p

Espan likes this.
  25. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, followup, just accepted for Chase Sapphire preferred, first Chase card, no Chase banking. Would this rule me out for one of the Continental/United promos? or the Marriott Premier by Chase? My only other main reward card is the CitiAA Advantage Visa.