5 Ways To Avoid The Middle Seat On The Airplane

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/01/06/investopedia68801.DTL

Apparently, getting the unfortunate honor of occupying the middle seat on an airplane is not just an inconvenience for some people, but a full-on traumatic experience. The company 3M wanted to know just how many people hated the middle seat, so it commissioned a survey. According to 3M, 56% of Americans would rather get stuck in traffic or go on a blind date than sit in the middle seat. One out of every two people said they would rather take an aisle seat on a later flight, and 20% actually said that they would stay overnight in the airport rather than sit between two people.

Read More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/01/06/investopedia68801.DTL

HaveMilesWillTravel and SensFan like this.
  2. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, the suggestions in that "article" are horrible. It is too bad that you posted about the only interesting part of the piece. I feel sorry for the gate agents that will end up dealing with people who read that.

They left off that only 2% of people were willing to pay extra for a pre-selecting a non-middle seat.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would 3M care?

According to Wikipedia:

With over 80,000 employees, they produce more than 55,000 products, including: adhesives, abrasives, laminates, passive fire protection, dental products, electronic materials, medical products, car care products (such as sun films, polish, wax, car shampoo, treatment for the exterior, interior and the under chassis rust protection)[2], electronic circuits and optical films.

How does this survey help them with these products?

My wife would probably prefer me to be stuck in the middle seat. But if I was single, sure, I'd rather go on a blind date that be squeezed into a blind date sort of thing with two strangers in a metal tube.

[quote[One out of every two people said they would rather take an aisle seat on a later flight, and 20% actually said that they would stay overnight in the airport rather than sit between two people.[/quote]

Shouldn't 20% of the middle seats on the last flight of the night then stay empty? ;)

I get the middle seat fairly regularly when traveling with my wife when we end up in coach. Maybe a bit more tolerable since I at least know and like one of the two neighbors.

LH once changed me from an exit row aisle seat to a middle of the middle section (well, it may also have been our corporate travel site that didn't properly transfer the seat request... who knows). That was when I was a 1P flying from FRA to BLR. 10 hrs in middle-seat hell. The only good thing was that after about two hours the purser came by to welcome me personally (as a *G) and to ask if she could do anything for me.

The 2-5-2 seat configuration is actually why I still prefer to the fly on the old UA 777 (vs. the new config with 3-3-3) if I expect to be in economy.