5 travel tips from the pilot

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn, I so want to believe there is a 'water landing'!

LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know - the US flight that "landed" on the Hudson stayed intact...is that a "landing" or a crash?

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. :)

rwoman likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    #4 is funny. Every airplane certified in the "transport" category flies perfectly well with one engine out and every single one can climb with one engine failure at the most critical part fo flight, takeoff. Some, including Boeing 747 were certified to fly with three engines and can take off and fly normall with an engine out. A few years ago a crew did exactly that. It was fine, NOT an emergency, but passengers were freaked out, so procedures have changed, IIRC, for all but freight operations, where the passengers are rarely fearful. The wording of #4 is also wrong.

As for water landings, they do exist. When an airplane not intended for a water landing does one it works out OK if the pilot lands correctly and "flares" appropriately, teh water is calm and people are handy to rescue the passengers before the thing sinks. Nobody it their right mind would call it normal, but a water landing is not a crash if it is done correctly. There are many examples of that, teh most recent and spectacular being Mr. Sullenberger:D.

Someplace I cannot find just now is a list of famous and successful water landings of airliners. There have been a few, most of them long ago when aircraft were less reliable than they are now.

sobore likes this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always feel better hearing from the experts! :)

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    What expert? When I was first learning to fly my instructor told me the mark of a successful pilot is that the number of landings divided by the number of takeoffs equals one. Sounds right to me.
    BTW, just for obscurity, a "hard" landings is defined as a landing that causes structural damage to the aircraft. There are more of those than you'd think. Luckily I have never had one myself.

rwoman and sobore like this.
  8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love the vid:
    Too funny!!

rwoman likes this.