5 MR pts/$ + HH points for > $175 Hilton Stay through 1/31; 10,000 MR cap

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Mike Reed, Nov 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just sent up a post about this with a screenshot of the offer and a link to register (not targeted).

Amex is offering 4 extra MR points for a stay on a registered MR-eligible card at any Hilton where the bill is over $175, for a total of 5 MR points and the HH points you earn on the stay. Extra points on non-tax items (room rate, in-room dining, etc.) only.

Good through 1/31.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not a good deal for HH Diamonds who can pay for their hotel stays with the AMEX Surpass (not MR-eligible) or Citi Reserve visa through 1/31 because signing up for this deal would mean passing up on the chance to earn loads of points from the HHonors Q4 promo, which also runs through 1/31.

Case in point: my current 9-night stay at Hilton SIN will cost >$2,500. HH Diamonds who have set up their preferences to maximize their HH point earnings would rake in more than 150,000 HH points from just this one stay for a folio of that size after factoring in the Q4 promo points (total is about double the earning for the stay without the promo). On other hand, if I paid this folio with my MR-eligible AMEX Biz Plat, I would get 12,500+ MR points and the associated HHonors earnings. However, the latter would be about 30,000 HH points less than if I'd paid with the AMEX Surpass. Even if I later decide to transfer the 12,500+ MR points to HHonors points @ 1:1.5, this would net me just 18,750 HH points, for a loss of at least 11K HHonors...not a good way to fight "devaluation"!

3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, the link in the original post isn't working...

theBOAT

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not working because it targeted? Just a thought...

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, sorry, the link to the blog post that has the link to the offer...

Unless you know that the offer is targeted?

theBOAT