5 Minutes to Edit (Unless Silver or Above) - Unduly Restrictive to User-Generated Content

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Anglo Large Clawed Otter, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just read about the restriction on post-editing (only within the first 5 minutes until Silver or above). If this site is supposed to foster user-generated content, I believe this restriction could be unduly restrictive. It would make it difficult for users to create/modify indexed threads such as this one, and any other similar thread (Hotel Program Master Threads, More Specific/Targeted FAQs or wikis that appeal to specific user interests, etc).

Restricting editing to the first five minutes will make such threads (which are extremely useful), the exclusive domain of admins and/or heavy users. This may discourage newer members, who happen to be extremely knowledgeable, proficient, or interested in certain areas, from creating such FAQs/wikis.

Just my 2 cents

Gargoyle and joesmoe like this.
  2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the purpose of having this restriction? I agree with OP, everybody should be able to edit indefinitely.

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This restriction has already been removed for the beta period.

4. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Following on from this, I think it would be great if designated groups of persons could be authorized to edit a particular post or thread. This would make creating a more comprehensive/vibrant wiki for particular topics more feasible. Perhaps an OP should be able to designate his thread as a wiki and choose who may edit. Dunno if the software would support this

kiwi likes this.
  5. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Or have a quick summary feature such as fatwallet's - that all members can edit, like a wiki page.

6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy has indicated that they are considering including a wiki feature on MiPo. No details as of yet ...

7. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Solid thanks for the info - I've been trying to watch as much as I can on the new forums, but have trouble reading everything.

8. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wonderful! Hope they find a way to make it work. Door closing, off to SMF

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The beta feedback forum is busy! :)

10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heh, I love SMF's software, not sure what software this is though, never set it up or used it before.

11. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell me bout it, i've seen you all over the place too :)

12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife thinks I'm nuts, wasting time on two different FF forums. [​IMG]

13. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm starting to think I -AM- nuts.

14. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not yet ready to admit to anyone that I'm looking at two different FF forums.... (including myself!)...

The 5 minute editting rule is a bit..restrictive, even just for things like typos. The wiki-style post feature mentioned above sounds pretty great though, very handy for forum level posts (FAQs and the like).

15. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree that the 5 minute rule is restrictive and I don't like it. Have posted on another thread that I like the idea of having a wiki/common page where the community can contribute if they want to instead of having a mod/single person doing it (like the stickies..)

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What you describe goes in the direction of what Stack Overflow is doing. Basically, once you earn enough "reputation", you get additional rights, including editing other people's posts. Instead of having designated moderators, the site is self-moderating/editing. That approach seems to be a very successful over there.

17. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apart from the reasons already mentioned it is important to allow posters to modify incorrect information they have posted. It happens sometimes that someone (usually quite authoratatively [​IMG]) posts misinformation which is pointed out later in the thread. If the first poster can correct his/her post it obviates the possibility of another member later doing a search and landing on incorrect information.

kiwi likes this.
  18. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plus it's hugely embarrassing when you're the one who posted garbage and you can't save face by correcting it. [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.