5 Lesser-Known Facts About Renting a Car

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Jun 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2013/06/21/5-lesser-known-facts-about-renting-a-car

I was recently in the process of renting a car for my mother to take a one-way trip from Washington, D.C. to Ohio. An economy-sized car costs a reasonable $40 a day, but then I found out the car rental company charged a $160 fee for driving the vehicle only one way. I was stunned.
    If you’re curious about other lesser-known terms for the next time you go to rent a car, take a look at these five:

1. There may be more fees when renting at an airport. The Federal Trade Commission notes that rental rates can be substantially higher if you pick up the car at the airport. Airport concession recovery charges and other fees can add 10 percent or more to the total cost of a car rental. This applies any time you rent from the company’s airport office – or one nearby that offers a shuttle to the airport.

2. Returning the car early could cost you. You’d think returning a rental car early would mean you’d pay less, right? If you’re getting a special weekly rate, returning the vehicle early may be extra costly, as some rental companies will cancel your discounted rate. Other companies will prorate fees for the days you didn’t use, so you’ll pay a little less – but then some tack on a $10 to $15 early return fee to your bill. Therefore, make sure you understand what the company’s early return policy is before dropping off the car.

Read More: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2013/06/21/5-lesser-known-facts-about-renting-a-car

uggboy, jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pointer. Nothing will surprise most people who frequent this site though ;) . Perhaps should be "5 Well-Known Facts About Renting a Car."

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:

I guess there cannot be 'lesser known facts about renting a car' in this forum!

emilyjames likes this.
  4. emilyjames

emilyjames Member

Status Points:

It is better that these are lesser ;) means ..not too much tension otherwise have to go with all rules, as traffic has many rules and regulations.