5 hours layover in LHR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I was just reading a thread on LHR arrivals loung access and it hit me I will be having a 5 hour layover in LHR with my wife connecting on to ZRH on LH. We will be flying in on CO from EWR.

So, I know we have access to the *A loung in terminal 1 beinging a 1K and also flying in C. But, does anyone have any other suggestions on a different lounge in a different terminal we can check out? Been at the *A lounge in T1 too many times and just wondered if we can go somewhere else.

Also, does CO fly into T1 like UA and LH does?

Thanks,
    John

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO uses the T4 at LHR actually and uses the SkyTeam Lounge for their Lounge Access (Departures not Arrivals).

AZjohn likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll get a few hours at the Yotel in T4 on arrival if in BF, assuming you're willing to deal with immigration. so that will help.

Otherwise, not many options I'm aware of.

AZjohn likes this.
  4. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a five hour layover, I'd go into town and have a good lunch or a walk around a museum or a park. Plenty of time to do that and get the aviation stale air out of the system.

AZjohn, TRAVELSIG and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Five hours at LHR?? Wow- you must have IRIS scan. It can be a couple of hours just to get through passport control and security.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last five trips through immigration at LHR have taken no more than 30 minutes from walking off the aircraft until walking out of the terminal. That includes two trips in the last month.

TRAVELSIG and AZjohn like this.
  7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, didn't know CO was going to be coming into T4.
    Thanks for everyones suggestions. To be honest, didn't really want to deal with immigration, though we have a EU permit card.
    Yes, we will be UG'ed to BF (was shocked to find R=2 on this flight thus that is why we are flying inti LHR). So I'm thinking it will take maybe an hour to go from T4 to T1 and through secruirty (don't think I need to deal with immigration if staying within the airport).
    I know nothing about Yotel access if flying in BF with CO. I do know we will likely want to take a shower as we will actually be starting our journey from OGG (yes, it will be a very long day of flying:rolleyes:) and know for sure we can do this at the *A lounge in T1. If there is something special about Yotel can you please let me know?

Thanks again everyone!
    John

catgirl likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing special about the Yotel. I would go to the T1 *A lounge. Glad to hear immigration times are getting shorter at Heathrow by the way- this is an improvement!

AZjohn likes this.
  9. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've removed IRIS:mad:. 5 hours gives you time to do naught. By the time you'd get downtown, it'd be time to go back out. The T4 lounge is no big thrill, but it is nicer than sitting at a gate. Too bad you didn't route through IAH instead. That would have given you a much longer night ride on a BF flatbed.

TRAVELSIG and AZjohn like this.
  10. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm usually in my room downtown within 90 minutes of landing - and that's with checked bags and taking the Piccadilly Line. Personally, I like to get out of the confined space and air of airports whenever possible - but each to his or her own.

ssullivan and AZjohn like this.
  11. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there was R=2 on the flight, I would have done exactly that;)
    Cheers,
    John

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a shower facility at StarAlliance Lounge in T1.

AZjohn likes this.
  13. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is also the bmi lounge in T1 which is closer to the LH gate. Better views, worse food.

However, flying to Zurich, you'll probably be on LX, right?

I'd also vote for getting out and about... If money isn't much option, try Heathrow Express to Paddington to save time.

AZjohn likes this.