5 Hour Delay - $8 food voucher generous?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Smilee, Oct 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Smilee
    Original Member

Smilee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that airlines are under no obligation to get you where you are going when they say you do. Today was a zoo in Phoenix, and lots of angry customers. Anyhow they generously offered $8 food voucher at check in. I remember the old days when you got a food voucher, and a $25 or 2000 miles voucher for a flight delay over an hour but I thought they stopped that practice this spring.

Was I just lucky today to get a $8 food voucher?

marcwint55 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's better than Delta will do for you -- we had one that was 8 hours and got 6 bucks and they managed to change the departure time iteratively, 30 minutes at a time.

DTWBOB

3. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 30 mins at a time is brutal.

4. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jet Blue had about a 2 hour delay the other day and it gave everyone a $25.00 credit toward their next Jet Blue flight. The credit expires in a year. I was pleasantly surprised by its offer. My Jet Blue account shows the $25.00 and states something like: "passenger bill of rights."

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guess it depends on what the delay is for...

6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering the nature of the problems that AS had with their computer systems yesterday (which weren't in the least their fault), I'd say you were lucky.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United is good at playing that game also. I don't fly AS am much as I used to, and as an over-entitled elite with UA I'm perhaps not the best person to tell you what I think is reasonable, but by comparison, my son who has no status with United got a $100 e-cert for a 5 hour MX delay out of LAX over the summer. Anyway, it depends what the delay was for, but if it was something that was their fault, I think you should have got more.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be in the minority here, but I would rather have nothing. If they told me that my time was only worth eight dollars, I would be offended. You probably were lucky to get anything, but a more reasonable compensation be it miles or future flight credit, would buy a lot of good pr instead of us discussing it here today.

9. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mediocre compared to what UA offered (pre-merger) however it is better than what I get on WN (nada, zilch). Depends on the circumstances. Weather is beyond airlines control, mechanical is fully within their control, as was the system failure.