5 Delicious Vegetarian Foods from Around the World

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Sep 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.havepack.com/5-delicious-vegetarian-foods-from-around-the-world/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: HavePack (Have Pack, Will Travel)

Traveling as a vegetarian around the world has its ups and downs – but that’s half of the fun really. There are the fun and often ridiculous conversations as you try to communicate the delicate specifications of your diet without insulting the other parties involved, their quizzical looks, and then the food you are ultimately served…sometimes meaty-tastic despite your best efforts.

Though there are challenges, it’s also possible to eat some of the tastiest food of your life traveling. Dishes you could never conceive of, others you may already love but you’ve never had it quite like this.
    So travel around the world with me as we look at five delicious vegetarian dishes even the meat-eaters will love.

Indonesia: Nasi Campur

[​IMG]

Nasi campur is a rice based dish throughout Indonesia and even into Malaysia, Singapore, and other nearby regions. This is not an inherently vegetarian dish in all of these regions – the components of nasi campur vary widely.

The Balinese version I recommend for vegetarians can be found throughout Bali and consists of a skewered tempeh, tofu, a light tomato sauce and some flash-fried greens – all served over a fluffy bed of white rice. It’s so good I ate it nearly everyday – sometimes twice in a day!

India: Thali Sampler Platter

[​IMG]

The Indian thali is as diverse and varied as India itself and every version is worth a taste! The thali is like a sample platter of the best dishes from that region; you traditionally get small ramekins filled with little tastes of a curry dish, a dahl or two, some veggies, something spicy, and coconut paste (to cut the spice!). Add in a pile of rice, a chapatti, and a lime wedge and you’re all set for a filling meal.
    Filling you may ask? Oh yes, the little dishes are a decoy– after you order the thali servers patrol the room with huge vats and offer unlimited refills! India is a mostly vegetarian country and that means the thali is inherently vegetarian unless you’re in the far northern areas of India.

Read More: http://www.havepack.com/5-delicious-vegetarian-foods-from-around-the-world/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: HavePack (Have Pack, Will Travel)

2. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of my travel destinations are determined by the relative ease - or difficulty - of finding good vegetarian meals

365RoadWarrior, Espan, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When i was in Greece recently I found that although they did cater and do some Vegetarian dishes, where I was, I often found that they would try put meat in everything! Making it very difficult to determine what exactly it was that I was eating! But overall there are certain vegetarian dishes I love- Stuffed Vine leaves, Fried feta cheese..mm!

Espan, anileze, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have surprisingly found lots of diverse vegetarian fare, and delicious too, in Istanbul, Jerusalem, Kyoto and Seville in the Andalusian region of Spain.

Espan and uggboy like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of good burek places in Chicago I've been a fan of.

Seeing as one of the dishes listed included dairy, by that definition I'll include one of my favorite
    dishes, eggplant parmigiana, when the gravy is good, this is a hit in my book.

While I am a confirmed carnivore, I'll make a meal out of warm pita & good hummus or baba ghanouj/ghanoush.
    However during most vegetarian meals I've had, I'm still craving the texture/flavor of meat.

uggboy, sobore and anileze like this.
  6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dairy is a matter of choice in vegetarian, vegan absolutely not. Good vegetarian food will not leave you craving meat. FYI I am a carnivore too.

Espan, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  7. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to move to somewhere in South Asia for a month or two, find a budget apartment, and eat vegetarian dishes to my heart's (and possibly generalist's) delight.

FlyingFree and Espan like this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you like to cook? I have a delicious, non-fried Eggplant Parmigiana recipe. PM if you would like it.

Espan and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Traveling in Nicaragua in the mid-1980s was tough for a vegetarian, made me give up 8 years of no meat one night in a dark bar with a raging parillada (grill) and loads of Flor de Cana...

bez7 likes this.
  10. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    But I still cook and eat vegetarian a fair amount.

bez7 likes this.
  11. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    35 years as a vegan, with no meat cravings.

And let me tell you, in 1978, being vegetarian was TOUGH, especially with abundant travel (...though, in those days, far less travel than my current 365.)