5 days/nights in Tokyo - dining suggestions

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Singapore Flyer, Mar 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my first trip outside of NRT and the wife wants to go exploring. She has been there several times, but really from a hit or miss perspective on the dining. I have been told/informed that Tokyo is a lot like HK in that the nicer restaurants need reservations even if they are completely empty when you arrive. We'll do the local restaurants that are close by and are more intimate, but are there any really high value (amazing food for the price) that we should hit? I was really into "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" and want to give his place a go or maybe his son's place since it may be "not as expensive." C'mon what's $500-600 for a dinner for two. ;)

uggboy, merice107, oneeyejack and 3 others like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

There are several sushi bars at the Tokyo fish market and I didn't find a bad one. You have to like sushi for breakfast, but it was truly excellent.

uggboy and Singapore Flyer like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    That won't be a problem. Also hoping the Conrad will live up to the hype. :)

uggboy likes this.
  4. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously morning sushi at Tsukiji is fun.we did it probably every day last time we were there:)There is this little neighborhood spot I saw a while ago on Anthony Bourdain called Toriki.They do some weirdo fresh "tataki" style chicken skewers/bites.Sounds boring but actually the food and ambience looks awesome.I'll be there in a couple off weeks.Let me know if you're around that time and we can talk some miles and points:)

5. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Sweet. Will find that place on video. I have watched all the episodes of him on NR, ACT, TL and Zimmern's show on Japan to get a feel. We'll be there May 8th till 13th. Have a one night before our trip to SIN staying at a Manga cafe if we can find.

uggboy and olmangsr like this.
  6. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    ill be there mid april.will definitely let you know if i find some interesting places...
    btw since you mentioned Jiro ,a friend who just got back tried his son's place in Roppongi and said that of course its a great sushi but not worth the $500...personally i'd be curious to try it but its a little steep for a 15 minute experience:)

7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    tell me about it, but still tempted. We looked at staying at Roppongi Hills area too. We'll be above the main Ginza location. May also try Gordon Ramsey's restaurant just to say that we have eaten at one of his places.

uggboy likes this.
  8. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't go to Japan to eat at a Gordon Ramsey place!!!

Here are some recs while I was there.

Sushi Saito - hard to get reservation so I would try getting them NOW! Email the Conrad and ask the Concierge to make a reservation. 3 Star Michellin rated sushi place. Expensive but worth it since it's a two hour ordeal. Chef speaks decent English. LOVED this place over Jiro...service was more personable and did not cost as much.
    Address:
    鮨さいとう– (CC) 107-0052 東京都港区赤坂1丁目915
    Jidousha kaikan Bldg. F1 1-9-15 Akasaka, Minato-ku,Tokyo Japan
    +81 3 3589 4412

Fu-Unji - Rated 4th or 5th on Ramen db at the time we went last year. http://ramendb.supleks.jp/ I hope you can read Japanese. ;)
    Address:
    東京都渋谷区代々木2-14-3 北斗第一ビル 1F
    Hokuto Bldg 1F 2-14-3 first Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

Butagumi - Amazing Tonkatsu place in Roppongi.
    http://www.butagumi.com/nishiazabu
    港区西麻布2-24-9
    2-24-9 Nishi-Azabu
    Minato-ku, Tokyo

A511 - Kobe Beef Kaiseki meal.
    Address:
    東京都港区赤坂4-3-28ディアプラザ赤坂B1
    Dear Plaza Akasaka, Akasaka 4-3-28, Minato-ku
    +81 (0) 3 6685 0511

Tsukiji Market - The two most popular places are Sushi Dai and Daiwa Sushi. Get there early if you don't want to wait in line.

All the places I went to above were AMAZING! If you need more places, let me know..I have a whole list of them. :)

uggboy, iolaire, olmangsr and 2 others like this.
  9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    awesome! Thanks for the recs. I can't read it, but my SIL and wife can make out most of it. I stop after the chinese characters. I read about a couple of places on CNNGO. We were going to have lunch at Sushi Saito. One of the better/great deals for Sushi. I think the Ramsey place was just to go and say i ate at xx number of Michellin rated places. :p

Sushi and Beef are going to be on the menu the entire time we are there...with Ramen and Soba for the vegetable portion. :rolleyes:

uggboy and oneeyejack like this.
  10. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Little off topic but any recommendations for Kyoto?

uggboy likes this.
  11. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another good site to use is
    forgot to mention that there's another good site in japanese for all the restaurants all over Japan. put your SIL and wife to good use. ;)

http://tabelog.com/

13. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yamashita - Rated as the #1 restaurant for seafood on tablelog (another Japanese site). They don't speak a lot of English there so you might want to get the concierge to get you a reservation.
    京都府京都市中京区木屋町通二条下る
    Kyoto city, Nakagyou ward, Kiyamachi-dori Nijo-sagaru
    i.e., on Kiyamachi-dori, south of Nijo-dori

Shoraian - Tofu Restaurant - If you like Tofu, this is the place to try. It's in the middle of a bamboo forrest about 30 minutes from the main area but well worth it.
    http://www.syouraian.jp/
    京都府京都市右京区嵯峨亀ノ尾町官有地内
    Sagakemonoocho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan

Mishima Tei - Sukiyaki - Good place to get beef
    405 Sakuranocho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 604-8035, Japan
    http://www.mishima-tei.co.jp/

Kushitei - deep fried kebab on skewers
    40-18, Sagatenryūji Susukinobabachō, Ukyō-ku, Kyoto, Japan

uggboy, iolaire and olmangsr like this.
  14. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Btw I tried a couple of days ago Toriki and it was AMAZING!!!!you should definitely check it out: http://www.foodspotting.com/places/37756-toriki-tokyo .they spoke OK english so if you'd like to go i'd recommend to make a reservation cause there are only 12 seats...they have a tasting menu:8 meats,4 vegetables and a couple of in between things(soup,the usual radish puree salad thing,green beans with almond paste) so in total about 15-16 mini dishes.had a couple of beers and a big sake and payed only $110.amazing experience

15. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Wow. Just had dinner there. Amazing doesn't vein to describe the chefs ability. Super nice and accommodating after we screwed up the reservation be we brought our daughter last minute on the trip. Btw, really daiso sore across the street at the Arkit mall on the 7th floor. We almost spent as much there as on dinner.
    I have pics but my wife Has the better ones on her phone and camera. We had some tomatoes and can not begin to explain how delicious they were. Hands down the best yakitori place we have ever eaten.

image-857195173.jpg

image-481398750.jpg

image-347157484.jpg

image-833988995.jpg

image-2271903031.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy and olmangsr like this.
  16. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy you enjoyed it...:)

uggboy likes this.
  17. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anybody have new suggestions? This is a great list though some of the links are in Japanese. We will see how well google translate works.

uggboy likes this.
  18. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points: