5 days in HK

Discussion in 'Asia' started by keepinitsimple, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I will be in HK with my spouse for 5D/4N. No kids. We will be staying at Le Meridien Cyberport for 2 nights (first and last), and a boutique hotel near the central MTR for mid 2 nights. First time in HK.

1.) Any recommendations for places to visit during the stay? Is HK disneyland worth visiting? Never been to any disney park so far. But have been to Universal Studios in Singapore.

2.) Should we stay in HK, or make a trip to Macau for a day as well? We have to go to HK in another 2 months and could make that trip then if there is enough in HK for 5 days

3.) Are there certain tickets that I should purchase online? Like Disneyland?

4.) We are planning to use the MTR as much as possible. Will be carrying my AMEX. Any suggestions of how much HKD currency we should carry for 5 days keeping in mind no shopping or major expenses are planned other than for sighseeing. I guess this will be used for food, the odd taxi trip, airport transfer via train, MTR/Octopus charges, local SIM purchase/topup charges, and for the visa on arrival fees.

Thanks.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hard to predict a budget for someone else, but as a general rule, major (fancy) restaurants will take credit cards while the hole-in-wall local flavor ones and street vendors will not. You should check savydog's very recent TR, which includes some comments on prices. For convenience, especially since you'll be returning soon, buy an octopus card upon arrival; there are deals that combine it with the airport express train for a slight discount IIRC. It can be used for MTR, taxi fares and I think some other purchases, perhaps in convenience stores and newsstands.

I like to appreciate where I am rather than running around frantically, so I woulds forgo Macao for this trip. If you do go, be aware that there are boat services directly to/from the airport that avoid an immigration and customs step, so going at the start or end of the trip would make sense. However, I would think that if you go, you would want to spend at least one night there.

My picks would include Victoria ferry (and check out the historical photos in the terminal), the light show, the Peak by the cog tram, the escalator and a walk through antiques row including checking out some small temples, the Avenue of Stars for the water scenery, tea at the Peninsula (or similar), drinks or dinner at Felix at the top of the Peninsula for the views (or similar, especially if you don't have a harbor view from your room), some markets, a trip out of town or to the racetrack or to dine on a boat or to the railway (?) museum or into the New Territories (maybe cross into China if this is new for you and the visa isn't too inconvenient and costly), and the museum of HK history (not it's exact name) near the park in Kowloon. If you're athletic, there are hikes, including to the big gold Buddha. There are also new art and science museums near the Avenue of Stars.

I would not spend the time or money on Disney in HK.

3. rkkwan

rkkwan Silver Member

Status Points:
    First, I hope you have very strong reasons to stay at the Meridien. Especially with the hassle of moving hotels twice in just 4 days.

Second, I agree that if this is your first time in HK, and with just 5 days, leave Macau for your later trips. Also agree that skip Disney.

As for budgeting, food cost vary a lot in HK. From US$3 bowl of noodles to Michelin Star restaurants, choices are unlimited and price range huge as well. Not all places will take AE - hotels, large restaurants and major chains yes, but smaller ones may not. VISA/MC are more widely accepted, but still not at a local noodle shop, for example.

You are not going to use the MTR that much, since there's no MTR service at Cyberport. Instead you'll be using buses and taxis. The regular Octopus can only be purchased and recharged with cash, so you will definitely need some HKD. Just get them at ATMs at the airport or elsewhere in the city - ATMs of major banks and not of Travelex's. A local SIM is cheap, starting at around HK$68. Don't know what nationality you are, but most don't need a visa to enter HK. If you're taking the Airport Express train, you can purchase with credit card (can also pre-purchase online, but savings very slim).

lin821 likes this.
  4. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all those who have replied.
    Is HK disney that bad? We are staying at Cyberport as that was the only one with C+P available for 4k points. Split into 2 stays for the 3-nights-1 night free promotion from SPG.

5. rkkwan

rkkwan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The HK Disneyland is the smallest of all, and some will say "least magical". It's basically for local parents taking their young kids, and for mainland Chinese tourists who can't visit or haven't visited the other ones.

lin821 likes this.