5 award seats in C to Australia next Christmas, please!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jfhscott, Dec 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, just had a conversation with someone I know (and I will spare him from being identified). He is aware that I know more ins and outs of FF programs than he does. He and his wife each have in the low six figures of AA miles. The initial question was how to increase their combined balances to 950,000 pretty quickly. (In reality, they would need 5 units of 190,000).

You see, he and the wife have 3 kids. Next winter, they have a two week break, and want to use each of the 190,000 miles units to book a 25,000 - 35,000 mile Business Class Explorer Award. Starting THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS. Oh, and from the East Coast. Never mind that fact that getting a third Oneworld carrier in the mix will make things pretty tough, too.

No, I'm not joking. He insists that its OK to break the family up on the TPACs, which should apparently make everything quite doable. : ).

In all seriousness, it strikes me that perhaps, only perhaps, there will be a brief sweet spot on the LAX-KUL route when Malaysian first enters OW, supposedly on February 1. The 330 day rule would interfere, and they'd need to book a R/T, say 12/26 to 12/31, making changes later hoping for a 1/8 return. Equally, they are adventurous enough, and would take the kids to SE Asia rather than Australia if that were available.

I can actually help them with the miles, so I'd appreciate any advice that can be made.

But I generally thought this might bring a smile to some faces.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Best of luck to you and them. ;)

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow this going to take some doing... not even bearing in mind that its close to the high demand/season for Australia.

4. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let us know how/if this works out!

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right? Maybe if one person goes direct from the US to OZ on QF, 2 go through Asia on CX/JL, and two go the low budget route on HA through HNL?

6. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the ages of the kids (clearly a precursor to the rest of the discussion) would they see an exponential increase in availability if Mom and Dad fly biz and leave the kids in coach?

jfhscott and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as a quick note, there is no need for a third Oneworld carrier for an Explorer award. Only two partners are required. My first thought is MH/JL LAX-NRT then JL/QF NRT-SYD, which should allow several two airline combos, or potentially some sort of USA-NRT-HKG-Australia allowing use of JL and CX potentially.

Yes they would have more availability in coach, QF actually has pretty good award availability in coach TPAC in my experience. However, I doubt that, even if Qantas releases any J/F inventory, that it will make it to 330 days out. BA/QF/other programs can book QF awards at, I think 355 days out, and those days would be the highest demand on the schedule for awards. If going from the northeast, there is a chance that (despite the longer distance) that east coast-LHR on BA and then BA or QF LHR-SYD (BA via SIN, and by that time QF via DXB) can be options as well.

BuckleandBoots likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A third OW carrier is required if one of the first two carriers is AA. :)

jfhscott likes this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is usually space LAX-KUL on MH at least back when it was LAX-TPE-KUL. I flew it last year and when I called Delta for space all the dates I gave them were available.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they willing to observe Christmas on a different day? I've seen award availability on flights departing the evening of the 24th, for arrival on the 26th into Oz.

In general, you should point them onward to an award booking service and leave it there.

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    happily, LAN serves SYD-AkL

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    JL, LA, QF, CX, BA and MH all serve Australia, so it's not difficult to get two non-AA OW carriers at all. Find space in J at a peak holiday and seasonal (Australian summer) period is the issue.

13. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I read it and interpreted it differently than you did. Of course, two non-AA Oneworld carriers are required, but I was interpreting it as the OP was under the impression that 3 partners of AA were required. Note the wording of the remainder of my post ;).

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, my reply was more of a joke. :)

15. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sarcasm never does show well over the internet :). I do actually need to book that LA AKL-SYD at some point soon...

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As an award or revenue?

17. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Likely award as I want it in J. Whether with AA miles or Avios or Kilometers. It is pretty well priced to purchase in J though.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For such a short flight I'd likely opt for the EK flight, often also reasonably priced.

19. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were traveling by myself, yes (and I'd actually pay for F over J on that particular flight, the car transfers at both ends would make up much of the difference and the flight is timed a lot better, and the shower and being in F on EK would make up the rest :D ) but the person I'd be traveling with would be much more interested in flying LA, and I haven't flown LA myself so I'd be good with either. It will depend on what the person traveling with me wants to do.

20. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheapest business fare on LA is quite low, moreso AKL-SYD than SYD-AKL. It may not be worthwhile spending miles unless as part of a bigger ticket..

21. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might pay for my ticket and use miles for my friend. I'll benefit from the EQMs/RDMs crediting to AA, my friend not so much as my friend doesn't fly as much as I do. It is still many months away though, so I have plenty of time to decide how I want to do it.