5 Airlines That Offer Healthy Food Fare

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Airlines-Healthiest-Food-16252839

OK, who can provide the "taste of approval" on these five?
    1. Virgin America: I know we're talking about food here, but let me start off by saying that Virgin has an impressive line-up of libations to help take the edge off while up in the sky. OK, back to the food. Where do I begin? For starters, or snacks, I should say, Virgin serves up granola; low-fat yogurt; a selection of cheeses with grapes, dried fruits, nuts, and crostini crackers; vegetarian cobb salads; and Umpqua oatmeal. Yes, they still offer some fat-filled options like Texas bbq sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies, but all in all, they make eating healthier that much easier for the frequent flier.
    2. United Airlines: I have to admit that other airline menus pale in comparison to Virgin, but at least they are trying, right? If you don't let your sweet tooth do the ordering, with United you can get some bananas, low-cal Pop Chips, warm mixed nuts, or a Clif organic energy bar to snack on. And for meal options, try an entrée salad or a bowl of soup that comes with a breadstick.
    3. JetBlue: Fly with JetBlue and you can choose from yummy snacks like Terra Blues chips and roasted cashews. And because they serve up a "Shape Up" kosher snack pack for $6 that comes with Wild Garden sundried tomato hummus, pita chips, Sheffa's zesty snack mix, almonds, raisins, and Brothers All Natural Asian Pear Fruit Crisps, they get a big thumbs up from me. This certainly takes the guess work out of ordering!
    4. Delta Airlines: Delta's in-flight menu runs the gamut in terms of options. Health-conscious individuals will love the Kind Fruit and Nut Delight Bars, Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips, Wild Garden Hummus, dried apricots, almonds, and yogurt. It's all about the options!
    5. American Airlines: This airline is similar to Delta in that it has the best of the best and the worst of the worst in terms of food selection. My advice would be to steer clear of the breakfast café croissant sandwich that includes roasted turkey, cheddar cheese, mayo, and pita chips on the side, and stick with their almonds, trail mix, a fruit and nut blend, or get a cheese and cracker tray. By the looks of the menu, the first classers get to have all the food option fun.

yunicorner and Horse like this.
  2. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing. Maintaining decent wellness practices is becoming an increasingly difficult challenge for me while traveling, and simply raising my awareness of some of the healthier food options on United and JetBlue helps!

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The report mentions Stacy's pita chips for DL. This is a PMNW FC snack basket item that I unfortunately haven't seen since the merger.

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer some of United's buy on board food to what they serve in first class. Some of soups however are quite good (and I assume pretty healthy), but as most of my travel is to-from Hawaii, that's usually not a meal choice. I'm really getting tired of the breaded, oil-oozing macadamia nut chicken.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When buy on board first started, one could purchase a good chicken Caesar salad for $7 on many domestic flights. Now the buy on board stuff tends to be snack boxes of junk food within the lower 48 states. Even when I'm sitting in FC, I'd be happy to buy something tasty and healthy (although I think it should be provided as a courtesy for high-tier elites and FC ) as an alternative to most domestic airline meals. Also, ther was a time when one could special order cold poached salmon with some green salad; that's something else that I'd be pleased to pay for, or even a good plate of fresh fruit and cheese.