5.8 Magnitute Earthquake in VA at 17:51:03 UTC

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Funtodoimpossible, Aug 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    USGS is reporting a 5.8 magnitute earthquake in VA.

They projecting it was 87 miles SW from Washington, DC

It was felt up in Northeast PA.

2. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the link to USGS real time information, if you are interested. Located 14km (9 mi) SSW of Mineral, Virginia. On the map it appears to be between Charlottesville and Richmond.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was 40 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89, which rated 6.9. It woke me up from a nap on the bottom bunk in my room and dropped my parents' salt water fish tank on top of my brother, killing the fish and giving him some nasty cuts. Then of course there were all the other disasters like the freeway collapses that a 5-year-old like me never saw. They're fortunate there wasn't much damage out east given the population density is so much higher.

4. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was about 30 miles from the epicenter at the time and at the office, alone, working. I guess you were a bit young to be interested in the Bay Bridge World Series. :D

5. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Northern VA about 80 miles NE of the epicenter. There was a big jolt but did not last more than about 10 seconds. Nothing like the quake in Tokyo. I had just arrived at NRT 20 minutes before the big one (buying bus ticket near the arrrivals exit). The hourly aftershocks for the next few days afterwards were bigger than this one. But most here never expected one on the East coast.

6. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    In NYC it felt a lot longer than 30 seconds but was not much more vibrant than a garbage truck rumbling by.