5,000 Free Spirit Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MiamiTed, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MiamiTed
    Original Member

MiamiTed Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.getfreemiles.com/

Spirit Airlines is hosting the Mega Miles Giveaway Tour, giving away millions of FREE* miles as we travel across the country. We will be visiting a city near you in April and May. Sign up today and earn 5,000 FREE* bonus miles, as well as a chance to win 1,000,000 bonus miles during the event we host in your city.

below sea level likes this.
  2. MiamiTed
    Original Member

MiamiTed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did I say anything wrong?... :)

3. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spirit doesn't seem to be that popular yet on MP. I asked a question the other day that went completely unanswered. Regardless of that, I followed your link and registered.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spirit is considered the bottom of the barrel by most when it comes to air travel. I've flown with them a few times and I gotta admit between their cramped quarters and charging you for carry-ons, you start realizing that just because something is cheap it doesn't necessarily make it a good value.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 5000 points aren't really enough to redeem for anything so that means you have to work at earning more Spirit points, likely by flying on them. And then the reward for that investment is more time flying on Spirit. The product is cheap and not particularly comfortable generally. No real compelling value IMO to chasing after Spirit points.

It has been 2 years since I last flew with them (trip report here) but based on that experience and no indications that anything has changed I'm not particularly inclined to give them another try unless the ticket is free. And then I'd have to think about it.

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have a friend who actually likes Spirit. Granted, she flies mostly short-haul in FL. The Spirit non-stop between FLL & TPA allowed us to catch up one day when I was in TPA recently. Thanks for posting the link MiamiTed!

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I think to some people that don't mind, Spirit actually fits the bill just right. They're super low budget and if you're doing short hauls around Florida (or LAX to LAS) for $30 then why not.

The problem is that they go too far IMO and "feel" cheap. Granted, I don't care for a shower at the lounge or Chilean Sea Bass for dinner, but they could do a lot better in making people feel less like cattle when flying with them. And it's the whole experience, not just the flight.

But still, at the end of the day miles are miles, and thanks to the OP for posting (I got it in an email yesterday but figured nobody would care). 5,000 miles can get you an short-haul round-trip ticket (less than 1,250 miles) if you're flying what they call "off peak" and you use their credit card to book.

Still, if you're in a jam and need a free flight out of somewhere and don't mind flying Spirit, then go for it.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because it can be cheaper and more comfortable to drive. FLL-TPA is the route I did with them and I probably only saved an hour versus driving and it was WAY less comfortable. Considering the other various fees they've come up with since then I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive to fly.
    Here I disagree. The miles aren't enough for a free flight out of anywhere unless you're also carrying their credit card. And if you're doing that then you're paying for that luxury. That's real money in the form of an annual fee and opportunity cost in terms of not earning more valuable points from a different CC spend if you are actually putting charges on it. Nothing free about that. Sure, "miles are miles" but if the value they carry is so near zero there isn't much point in investing to earn them. Even just filling out a for and putting your data into their marketing machine is more that I'd invest for these points.

9. I appreciate the link! I registered and am hoping for the best.
    I REALLY wish Spirit would change the way it's mileage program works though...use them QUICKLY or lose them is not very beneficial to building a good solid client base of loyal fliers.