4x J awards SFO-EZE in March?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Maximizer, Jun 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to fly 4 people in business class SFO-EZE in March 2014. I should be able to get enough miles by about 5-6 months before departure. It will be aggressive (multiple credit cards, some creative spend) but I'm fairly certain I can pull it off.

My biggest concern is whether it is realistic to find 4 award tickets in J on the same flights? Two pax are kids, so a) we cannot split up, and b) we strongly prefer straightforward routing, ideally one connection.

My other option is UA miles, but my feeling is that UA availability could be even tougher... although I have the miles already, so can theoretically book as soon as flights are loaded.

What would you suggest? Thanks!

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's pretty far ahead! How do you even know what's going to be "enough miles" in 2014? I would be more concerned about the next "enhancement" to the AAdvantage program, and not count on it too heavily.

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAN tends to have a lot of award availability on their flights, so they would probably be your best chance at getting 4 seats on one flight. Unfortunately, it looks like you would have to book a double connection to fly on them. I thought they have flown SFO-SCL or LIM-EZE in the past, but I'm not seeing that as an option at the moment.

If you can't get 4 together (which is difficult to do on most airlines), you may need to split up as 2+2 (one adult with one kid) and book on different days or routings.

4. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might have to take different routes to get the seats.
    Look at DFW, JFK, MIA-EZE.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're looking for two things that typically run against each other. Finding 4 J seats on a single flights can be a bit of a task, and requires some flexibility. But it also seems that since you're traveling with children, your flexibility is not as great since you want the most direct routings possible. You're going to need a bit of luck and finesse to make this happen.

Keep vigilant and watch for award space on a regular basis. Investing in a subscription to a service that will notify you when award seats become available might be worthwhile. Would it be awful for you to split up? One parent with one child on one set of flights, the other parent with the other child on another set of flights? That way you can take advantage of more routes, or you can even send one set with AA miles and the other set with UA miles if availability isn't so great.

LAN flies SFO-LIM and also LIM-EZE, so 1 stop routing is available on LA depending on time of year/connections/blah blah blah. :)

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The easiest trip is SFO/LIM/EZE on LA. I do it a few times a year. However, LA has reduced the size of the J cabin from 30 to 18 (effectively 28 to 16 because of crew rest on the longhaul segments) on almost all of the LP fleet, which includes the SFO/LIM segment, making getting even 2 J awards pretty difficult. Since it is a OW award, you have some mix/match options, including EZE/MIA (on LA or AA) to SFO (AA). Your only 1 stop OW options are going to be via MIA, LIM, or JFK. Your UA miles may be a nearly lost cause, although I hear that the EWR/EZE route isn't doing to well. AC SFO/YYZ/EZE isn't too bad, except the YYZ/EZE stops in SCL, adding more time (and requiring a crew change/transit security).

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    oops - add DFW for 1 stop.