4995 miles short of renewing Platinum - What are my options!?!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bkerea58, Dec 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bkerea58

bkerea58 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all, I was sure I would maintain my Platinum status but alas, a couple of trips got canceled this month and I am going to be short. I now regret not buying miles at check-in but never felt this was a very good deal. I have an old United credit card and I know if I spend on United.com with that I can get premier miles but I'm not thinking that is a viable option but I may be wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts on what makes sense to try and get these extra miles. I could do a mileage run but times running out. Thanks.

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Quick question: were any of your canceled flights during recent periods where weather waivers were granted by many airlines because of the cold weather problems?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you located? Maybe you can do a (relatively) cheap transcon to get you mostly there.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which card exactly and when does your statement close? And do you have any trips for next year you could book now?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you purchase a ticket on UA, buy redeemable and status miles, and then cancel the ticket? IIRC some UA FF experts claim that this works, but be sure to check the rules and details.

Alternatively, can you find a short inexpensive weekend break that you would enjoy?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but the cost of the PQMs is pretty high that way.
    IME this is less relevant. If you don't take the flights you aren't going to get the miles, regardless of why the flights were cancelled.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. festdave

festdave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think your only choice is to either buy the PQMs with the "buy ticket-buy miles-refund ticket" process, or actually fly them before 12/31. Even if your credit card gives you PQMs, they probably won't post soon enough to then be redeemed. My PPlus posts the PQMs a good 2-3 weeks after the RDMs, which itself is several days after the monthly statement cuts. FWIW, the PQM offers I've been seeing are about $0.20/mi, all in, so 5,000 PQMs = about $1,000.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. dave111

dave111 New Member

Status Points:
    Can I purchase tickets - get boarding pass and not fly to get PQM? That is way cheaper than purchasing PQMs

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope...

You have to actually fly to earn these PQMs or the alternative would be to do the PAMs.

snod08 and viguera like this.
  10. dxiao

dxiao Active Member

Status Points:
    I am very similar situation as you and unfortunately I am not based in US so I have to choose to fly some star alliance flight to do that, or alternatively 'buy ticket - awards accelerator - refund". I am not sure which way I will go and whether it is worth to renew P, or just went back to Gold. Really annoying.

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just take a trip to the south of France. ;)

12. Santa

Santa Platinum Member [Jolly]

Status Points:
    bkerea58 and dxiao: Here on Milepoint we pride ourselves with helping others and paying it forward.
    In our variation of Secret Santa, we've arranged with United MileagePlus for you to receive a full Premier Platinum elite status for the coming year. SO, no worries about credit cards, mileage runs and lost sleep knowing you were close but no elite cigar. Enjoy the time with family and friends.

Here's to your very best holidays and all of us here at Milepoint look forward to your contributions to this community of travelers.

HERE is the list of benefits that you will be entitled to as a member of Premier Platinum.

I will contact you via a private Conversation to get your United MileagePlus number to get this elite upgrade in place for you.

edcho, lauwenhwa, kellio and 10 others like this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    ho ho ho!

kellio likes this.
  14. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is SO awesome

kellio likes this.
  15. bkerea58

bkerea58 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, no....just business trips that got deferred to next year. Thanks for replying!!

kellio likes this.
  16. bkerea58

bkerea58 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in
    Oklahoma....smack dab in the middle!!! :)

kellio likes this.
  17. bkerea58

bkerea58 Silver Member

Status Points:

OMG!!!! I am stunned! What a wonderful and thoughtful kindness. I am pretty speechless......Thank you so much! I hope I can do something to "Pass it on" as well!!

kellio likes this.
  18. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Companion upgrades to unsuspecting nice people you meet at the gate are a nice way to do this. :)

Flyer1976, kellio, MSYgirl and 4 others like this.
  19. dxiao

dxiao Active Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty new I am not sure it is too good to be true or maybe I am too cautious and totally underestimate the kindness of people? Any suggestions? Is that true?

kellio likes this.
  20. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Believe in Santa :)

21. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we really do that?

22. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about UA, but I've used my AA stickers to upgrade someone else before. I was upgraded to F, but another flier was complaining at the front of the plane while boarding that his ticket should have been upgraded. He spent so much time arguing with the FAs at the front of F that the departure time passed. With the FA's permission I walked him back to the GA, gave her my AA account number, and asked her to please upgrade this PITA to F so the plane could finally take off.

Flyer1976 and KenInEscazu like this.
  23. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get it, but that would be the last person with whom I would want to share my benefits.

brodyf and IDGflygirl like this.
  24. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know what you mean, but I was tired of hearing his whining and really didn't want to get delayed any further. He got his seat, and I arrived almost on time at my destination, so it was worth it. (It was only one 500-mile upgrade, you'd think he could survive not being in F for 1 hr 20 min flight). :eek:

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done in many times in the past, though finding available seats to do it on in recent months has been harder.

Probably my favorite instance was a flight from IAH-SMF, probably a Saturday night, and the front of the 737 was booked to ~10 passengers. I settled in to my seat and was chatting across the aisle with an off-duty FA who had already cleared into F as she was on her way home to visit family. During our conversation she suddenly turned away, jumped up and hugged one of the passengers boarding the flight. Turns out it was her cousin who was also headed to SMF to see family; they hadn't seen each other in ~10 years.

I suggested that the cousin take the empty seat next to mine and hand me her BP, at which point I walked off the plane for a few minutes. I came back with an upgraded BP for her and the two had a blast on the flight, chatting the whole time (it did cut in to my nap time a bit, but such is life).

The spontaneous happiness that such actions can bring really is incredible.