49 Minute ATL Connection - Crazy?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Aug 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because of schedule changes, this is what I now have. I'm up front on 757s on both so I won't have too long to wait to disembark. The next available flight is 3.5 hours later.

jmrich1432 and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not crazy.

There's a chance you'll miss it...but absent a delay on the first flight, you'll make it.

jmrich1432, DeltaExpert and SC Flier like this.
  3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    City pairs? is this domestic to domestic?

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    JAX/ATL/SFO

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    If all are on-time should be fine

6. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hope you're not checking bags...

DeltaExpert and viguera like this.
  7. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    Doable, and if there is weather in ATL delying your incoming flight, in many cases the outgoing flight is delayed too. Been there, done that too many times recently from MCO

DeltaExpert and jmrich1432 like this.
  8. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I'm coming into ATL with a tight schedule I always check the outgoing gate on my phone as we're taxiing so I don't have to waste time checking the monitors when I get off the plane and everyone is stopping to look. On my way to the gate I usually check again just in case, but I haven't had one changed on me yet. Good luck!

9. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good advice...saves 30 seconds when you get off the plane during time that's otherwise spent doing nothing but sitting.

I've done 49 minutes domestic-domestic no problem in ATL a lot. Given that it's a 757 to a 757, it's likely going to be an A or B Concourse arrival/departure, which is not that bad, even if it means going one concourse to the other.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ultimately, a lot depends on what's likely to happen if you miss the connection. If it's a matter of waiting three hours in the SC and then getting upgraded at the gate on the new flight, it may not be a big deal, but if all flights are full for days or if it's a downgrade from your favorite FC seat with dinner versus the middle seat in the last row of coach, no food, and being forced to gate check a bag, it starts to look a lot worse.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    49 minutes is a lot of time even with taking the train to a different concourse. Very good chance all will work out and everything will be fine.

12. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've made 30 minute or less connections at ATL. Not willingly (late flights), but I've done it. I've managed a 45 minute intl-domestic connection before (Global Entry).

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't suggest this for a novice traveller or someone who moves slowly, but for someone who has been through ATL before and is experienced at dealing with airlines and airports, it certainly should be do-able. However, I'd still want to check that the later plane isn't completely overbooked and to look for other options just in case. ATL can be messed up at times.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again not adding much to the thread but 49 minutes should be no problem at all for domestic to domestic. What date are you flying the outbound leg? or being that you posted this originally on the 14th - Did you take the flight and did you make the connection?

15. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    A slight addition to this thread is that at ATL, the usual jetway location for 757s is door 2 and the OP might want to reconsider his "up front" seat on the inbound.

So, except for some sort of significant irregularity, I join the ranks of those who think that it is far from "crazy" although it certainly is not a slam dunk.

16. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Monitor... Saw your reply and just wanted to say Hello. I'm the guy from CVG lounge a month ago. Also --I suspect that the op made his connection....

17. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made a 40 minute connection this week. Granted everything was running on time.

18. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also remember that you can get to delta.dumb using wifi on the plane even if you don't pay for a plan--just connect and fire up the site.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  19. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just changed the flight to a 2 hour connection - which was no easy feat - she tried to give me an earlier flight, with just as bad a connection. "No, keep the last segment, just make segment 3 one of the earlier ones." "I can't, these are not one way fares....." ARRRRRGH. Finally, success. I checked the 3 days worth of my final segment, which has left from T, B and E, so I will be much more at ease with 2 hours. Watch, I'll have a delay/cancellation, and end up on the originally scheduled flight :eek: