48h in Jakarta with Turkish Airlines

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wanderlust (VFT), Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

wanderlust (VFT) Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many reasons to travel to Indonesia. Gaining SM seemes an obvious one these days. In addition a good reason for me was the chance, to pull myself away from a busy eversday life and dip into a colorful and unknown universe - and come back fresh and "rebooted" only a few days later. And of course I wanted fly a lot...

It's my pleasure to let you take part in my trip with Turkish Airlines to Jakarta / Indonesia. Let me concentrate on pictures and short explanations:

The trip started on a Friday afternoon with a feeder flight from Cologne to Istanbul. Even though CGN is my home airport it was my 1st departure from Terminal 2. CIP is the lounge Turkish uses for its departures. There is a nice view to the tarmac, but apart from this there is nothing to write home about.

[​IMG]

TK 1624 was operated by A320 (TC-JCS / "Adilcevaz"). I like about Turkish, that they have little Menus even on 2-3 hour flights from Central Europe to Istanbul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next point of interest was the International CIP Lounge used by TK, where my travel buddy for the remaining legs showed up after a little while. A little later TC-JNE ("Kayseri") took us from IST to SIN and on to CGK. Here is the A332 waiting for us to reboard at SIN:

[​IMG]

Perfect "base camp" for our small dip into a parallel universe was the Intercontinental in Jakarta.

[​IMG]

violist and cockpitvisit like this.
  2. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The first look out of the window proofes the social contrasts in this country:

[​IMG]

Because we were short on time we rented a car incl. driver, which was unbelievebly inexpensive. Here are some looks out of the car window:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emos-closet, Junca and cockpitvisit like this.
  3. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Many many Tuktuks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Junca, cockpitvisit and TrueBlueFlyer like this.
  4. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In downtown Jakarta there were many offers of entertainment. This miniature ferris wheel is driven by muscle power. The car battery delivers energy for quite a powerfull audio amplifier:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cockpitvisit, TrueBlueFlyer and Sarah like this.
  5. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:

[​IMG]

You can rent old bicycles and hats in matching colors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we went to the old harbour. I was impressed, how people-intensiv loading and unloading was performed: The freight seemed to lay around on the pier in random order and was loaded one by one - no containers!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][/FONT][/COLOR]

Junca and cockpitvisit like this.
  6. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some rotten charme:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

abdulai, cockpitvisit and Sarah like this.
  7. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And a lot of garbage in the water:

[​IMG]

What a contrast: Back in the hotel we took a small dip into the pool:

[COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][IMG]http://files.me.com/p.maas/%20vw9xkz[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][IMG]http://files.me.com/p.maas/%20ze862c[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][IMG]http://files.me.com/p.maas/%208j2dwk[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica]Time was passing by so fast. After a little shopping excursion it was time to head back to the airport allready.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica]Finally there is a picture of the C-cabin TK offers on their 332s:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][IMG]http://files.me.com/p.maas/%20q0eh7p[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    What a fantastic trip that was!

8. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't decide whether to go to Jakarta (cheaper) or Bali for a few days...

9. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Jakarta is interesting, but not nice. If your intended stay is longer than two days, I'd rather go to Bali...

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  10. opushomes
    Original Member

opushomes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would skip both. There are more interesting places particularly Central Java where the people are extremely friendly and welcoming. Not to say that those in Bali are not friendly, but it is not really a snapshot of Indonesia.

Jakarta is a huge, crowded city which IMO is not nearly as interesting a Bangkok, Manila, Tokyo or Buenos Aires.

Your pictures are great and provide a real look at Jakarta life as it is.

11. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    on this trip I will also be visiting Phuket, Tokyo and Manila... I am leaning towards Bali because of availability of rather cheap deals, but I would consider other destinations in Indonesia as well. I know you can take a boat from Singapore to some parts of Indonesia that many people visit. I would rather fly.

12. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report!

Agree with Opushomes - Bali is totally tourist - i.e. it's all about US dollars. Probably wouldn't go there again.

13. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the interesting photos of this interesting megacity!

14. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe in Jakarta, they are called 'bajaj' not 'tuktuk' as in Bangkok.

wanderlust (VFT) likes this.