48 Minute hold time at the EXP dedicated phone number

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by noskates, Feb 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. noskates

noskates Active Member

Status Points:
    WOW! I just called to make a flight change at the EXP Help line and was told that I could receive a call back for service within 48-52 minutes. Is this the service that we are going to receive under the new AA/USAir merger?

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its not the merger, its the weather. Its a huge storm and they are swamped. I've experienced this during past major storms.

3. noskates

noskates Active Member

Status Points:
    Maybe today it is the weather, but my last call the wait time was more than 20 minutes for the call back (without weather).

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My belief is that the wait time number is from the general queue wait. It's basically a mistake in messaging with their new IVR system that it can't tell your are EXP. If you just hang on and wait as an EXP give it a max of 2-4 minutes and you'll jump the IVR queue.

I've gotten wait time quotes of up to 4 hrs during the bad storms at several points this year. Each time when I wait I always get in in a few minutes.

MSYgirl, Efilon87, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I called yesterday and got an estimated callback around ~20 minutes. Actual callback was around 25.

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah from my experience the callback doesn't seem to prioritize EXP the same way as just waiting does. And when it's crazy bad the callbacks stop working some folks have said.

In all my holds - even worst case for bad storms in Dec and Jan - I had maybe just a hair over 4 mins. Love EXP team!!

7. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have taken five RT flights with AA this year and every time I have called there is a very long hold time.....'due to system maintenance' I believe the recording says. I am just grateful that they have the set up where you do receive a call back as it makes it much less annoying. I don't really have any complaints about the call back program as they are always within a few minutes either way of the expected call back time, however, last week I was flying to LA for the day and was waiting to hear back from them while I was en route to the airport. Otherwise I am just glad they are not like my insurance company who puts you on hold for 45 minutes with a voice that comes on every 45 seconds saying, ''your call is very important to us and we appreciate your patience,' :-/

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am pleased with the callback system as I have been on the phone at times when they call back, and if I don´t answer they call back repeatedly until I do.

9. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto that for me. The EXP phone desk service is one of the best perks of the program.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have yet to experience a time when there was no weather disruption and the EXP line had any sort of wait. It's likely all weather-related.

LETTERBOY likes this.