45 minutes to distribute Bose headphones!!!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dhammer53, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday, Janice and I flew BCN/JFK upfront thanks to the generousity of a friend. ;)

Is it normal to have waited 45 minutes after takeoff to get our Bose headphones? Even my wife was wondering out loud about the delay. It was wasted time as one FA went through the cabin s l o w l y distributing these. And when I say slowly, I mean slowly. My only reference with this is on UA P.S. where I can say for a fact this has never been a topic of conversation.

Your thoughts?

Posted exclusively on Milepoint.

SC Flier and magic111 like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heck one time I never even got a pair. :(

3. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the products that AA can be quite inconsistent about in particular in J. In F on a 777 your assured to get them right away but in business I have gotten them before take off, before newspaper or menu distribution or as late as your experience. This is the individual pursers call for J on the 763.

TheIceTrojan and KimK like this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say 30-45 mins after takeoff is normal. I have a pair of earbuds along that I use until they're distributed. Did they have the earbuds they sell for $2 somewhere around your seat? They're usually on the tray or sticking out of the seatback pocket.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's taken that long for me a few times, though usually quicker.

On my last trip in J (BRU-ORD) the headsets were actually already distributed at the seats, which was a first for me. I figured their might be some concerns about "shoplifting" as passengers moved on the way back to Y or even from J passengers? After the doors closed the FAs went down the aisle and picked up the headsets in the 2 empty J seats.

6. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait! Are you saying 45 minutes after takeoff, or 45 minutes to walk from row 1 to row 6?

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    She started at row 1 on the A side at 30 minutes. Every seat seemed to take an eternity. I was starting to get upset with how long it was taking her to distribute these. Why couldn't 2 FA's distribute the headsets? Oh wait. I know why. They were getting the drink trolley ready. ;)

SC Flier likes this.
  8. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this because Y pax don't walk through the F cabin so they don't worry about them picking them up?

9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    In one flight I took, they had headphones waiting on J seats. But theft must have been an issue because I didn't see that again. I would guess, 30 minutes is normal. Good as Bose are, I can't war them and sleep. For these reasons I am thinking of getting my own NC headphone / earbud. Just need to figure out which ones would be lightest, most comfortable to wear for long stretches, and give decent reduction of engine noise.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    But as I mentioned above on my last flight in J mine were waiting for me at my seat when I boarded, for the whole cabin in fact. Seems like it might be FA discretion how they distribute them?

11. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Security of the Bose headsets and PEDs are a stated concern one often hears about from flight staff but as far as the F cabin the FA/Passenger ratio is much different than J and I have never waited long for much of anything there. I would still say it is the Pursers call on all 763s and the lead in the J cabin on the 777 (FA serving the AB side).

TheIceTrojan and KimK like this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    45 minutes!! Outrage!!! Compensation!!!! :D

RedTape likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't even like them on my ears/head when I'm not sleeping. I have these and swear by them. Good quality sound, and good quality noise blocking, plus several different types of tips to put on them.

14. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Do sound isolating buds, which I imagine just plug your ears mechanically, work as well as active noise cancelation? I am mainly interesting in getting rid of engine noise. I have other ways to discourage conversation. :)

15. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use Sure earbuds and yes, they are just as good as my Bose headphones for getting rid of engine noise... and they're better than Bose for getting rid of chatty people around me.

Aktchi likes this.
  16. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!! Definitely has been the flight Pursers decision IME

TheIceTrojan likes this.
  17. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    45 to disribute and 45 before you land, they collect. Flights from jfk to lhr, you only get them for about 4-5hrs

18. Another option are these: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
    I've used my ER6s for about 3 years and they are great... block almost all background noise (crying babies, loud talkers, drown out most of the engine noise) with or without sound on. Plus, I can sleep on my side wearing them without taking them out (although some people can't). My only issue with them is that the cord is very thin so they tangle easily. I can wear them comfortably for 6-8 hours without even realizing they're in. They do take some getting used to putting them in your ear (I slightly moisten them and then pull up on the top of my ear while inserting. When I've let go of my ear they make a very comfortable noise blocking fit). I have to use about 1/3 the volume level on my ipod compared to normal headphones and I use the lowest volume setting possible for the plane's AVOD system (and it is still sometimes almost too loud).

Aktchi likes this.
  19. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats a winner!

20. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed this, too. That's why I've decided to bring my own. That way, I can enjoy the same sound quality until all electronic devices have to be turned off ... not just 1 hour prior to landing ;)

21. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recent flight mad-jfk on a 757 headsets were passed out while backing up from the jetway.

22. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe that is why I own 2 pairs of Noise canceling head sets. :)
    A cheap sony pair for Australian domestic and trans tasman flights to NZ and Bose for those long haul flights.

23. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been on a few dfw-cdg flights lately. every time the bose headphones were distributed before we boarded the plane.