45 minute connection enough at HKG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by hulagrrl210, Jan 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got word from United about a schedule change making a tight connection and I really want to keep the flights/schedule I have. Is 45 minutes enough time to connect in HKG? I'm arriving on a TG fight and connecting to UA. Flying in C if that helps. I've been to HKG before and it seems reasonably easy to navigate. Curious to hear other peoples' thoughts/experiences on tight connections there. Thanks!

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're under allowed MCT (which is 60 minutes for non CX/KA flights). I assume you aren't checking any luggage or won't need it immediately, because it might not make your onward flight.

You probably want to review this:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/passenger/transfer-transit/all/transit_procedures.html

Yes, HKG is an efficient airport, and TG and UA's gates are usually close to each other (just like their lounges), and it might all work out. That being said, even with elite status that would mean I might get a little better treatment than John Q. Public, I would be very leery of not adjusting an itinerary that fell under MCT unless I was quite prepared to spend a night in HKG (or having to do a roundabout routing, or possibly even having to suck it up in Y :eek: ) if things went wrong- are your plans flexible enough to do that? What's so compelling about your travel plans that an earlier TG flight into HKG won't work? (I grant that there may very well be excellent reasons for wanting to keep this itinerary, and that it might all work out fine on a 45 minute connection- it's just that you're "without a net" once your connection is under MCT.)

hulagrrl210 and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had 4 connections through HKG recently and I would say that 45 min is too tight for comfort. If you have no checked luggage to retrieve from the TG flight, which should arrive on time, and you know precisely which concourse your connecting UA flight would be departing out of and how to get there from your arrival gate, you'll make it...barely. The UA flight would probably be competing boarding by the time you get there...

I was in this situation that is one of two described at the link you posted:
    I came in on a CX flight from Changsha, Hunan (China), and needed to get to the UA check in counter in Desk Area W1. Should you have to do this, there is no way you will make the connection because there is quite a bit of walking to do to get to the said Airline Desk Areas. So, make sure to get checked in through, which is possible since you would be arriving with a *A carrier.

hulagrrl210 and eponymous_coward like this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    While TG should get a gate nearer to W1 there are no guarantees.

Earlier this month arriving on SQ we were assigned a gate almost as far from SQ lounge as you could get. With a long way to transfer desk of my next airline, check in and transfer security, it took me about 50 minutes just to get into the departures area.

Under 90 minutes if you don't have onwards boarding pass is risky at HKG.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll check out my other options. Not sure if I can get to HKG any earlier because I'm flying DEL-BKK before that. United was offering me the DEL-EWR flight which I'd really like to avoid so maybe I'll see if they'll let me go LH instead.

6. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    But then you would have to navigate London Heathrow, which I consider the world's worst airport.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why LHR when the switch is to LH? Not that FRA is much fun ;)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. I just did a cnx at HKG yesterday coming off an AC flight with over two hours between flights, connecting to TG, and flying in J. We were through security and were at the TG lounge in about 20 minutes. The AC flight landed very close to the transfer desk and security area for transfers and the TG gate was just below their lounge. If your connection is really tight they typically have "runners" meet your flight with a sign and who are in radio contact with the departure gate. Hopefully your flights are on the same PNR. Also make sure you have your ongoing Boarding pass as you cannot get through transfer security without it.
    Good luck

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't do London because my husband is not a US citizen...visa issues.

Anyway, interesting turn of events...United is letting me do another free stopover (I'm up to 3 on this trip now- technically one is a really long layover in SIN, plus one in Bali) so we're coming home on the same flight just 24 hours later. That was the best "compromise" we could come up with to avoid going to Newark, the "round-the-world" routing issues on the award ticket and/or possibly missing my flight and having to come home in coach. There was literally nothing else available. It took about 2 hours on the phone and a supe's approval (they had to convert revenue seats for us), but we're going to Hong Kong! :) Should be fun.

guinnessxyz and eponymous_coward like this.
  10. There might still be a plane change in HKG even with UA. Let us know how it works out.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP is flying on the same flights (numbers) as before, just instead of a 45 min connection it's now a 24 hrs 45 min connection.

12. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct

eponymous_coward likes this.