43 American Travelers Reveal What Foreigners Think Of American Food

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Apr 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://thoughtcatalog.com/michael-k...eveal-what-foreigners-think-of-american-food/

[​IMG]

1. We heard you guys like milk
    I was an exchange student in Japan. Someone told my host family that American kids drink tons of milk. When I arrived at their house, they showed me their fridge filled with “Sno” brand milk. They had also bought me yogurt and ice cream to make me feel at home. I’m lactose intolerant.

2. Oh god, this is hysterical
    One of my favorite things I saw while traveling was at a zoo in Denmark. In the nocturnal house they had all the animals set up in their natural habitats.
    We stroll past the opossums and their habitat was a trailer park with an overturned trashcan.

3. A cherry tomato perhaps…?
    In China, I ordered a sundae. On top was a tomato instead of a cherry.

4. Russia thinks America is still in the 1800s
    I went to a restaurant in Moscow called ‘The American Bar & Grill.’ There was a bearskin in the doorway, the whole place was decorated like an 1800s saloon. All the waiters were dressed as cowboys and said ‘Howdy, partners’ in thick Russian accents.

5. We do love our bubblys
    In one restaurant, in Italy “American Champagne” was coke. I approved.

6. Then what’s Canada Sauce?
    In Haiti, they call ketchup, “American Sauce”

7. It’s like how we imagine Italians to eat pizza and pasta for every meal…right?
    I stayed with a friend in Italy for a summer. His mom wanted me to feel at home, so she bought what she thought were traditional American foods. She came back from the grocery store with ketchup, Chips Ahoy, and Coke. She expected me to put ketchup on every single meal, and she seemed disappointed when I told her that chocolate chip cookies are not, in fact, a breakfast food.

Read More: http://thoughtcatalog.com/michael-k...eveal-what-foreigners-think-of-american-food/

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit "cheesy", no?

The funny thing is that after reading the whole list I find that it reveals more about the "American travelers'" own views (i.e. stereotypes) of the "foreigners" than the other way around, as intended...;)

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    One can only wonder why these particular 43 American travelers were thought to be most representative of American tastes/values than others.
    I'd agree that it's a very good policy that, when travelling abroad, to avoid any food (or other items/places) that have the word "American" in their description!

gregm likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chocolate Chip Cookies are not Breakfast Food!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Food is one of the ( many) stereotypical misconceptions that people all over the world have about other nations some of which may be perpetuated by TV or the movies and often people who do not care/want to travel and experience new and different things. Some these common myths are still even now tossed around by people should know far better.
    If you care to see some of these stupid opinions for example just take a peek at the FT BA board. But then on the other foot there are others who like spout the nonsense about
    that there is nothing worth eating in the UK or that all the Japanese eat is sushi.

The most comical and telling summary of all this was on the Sopranos episode when they were visiting Southern Italy and their Italian hosts laid out a gourmet spread,
    Paulie said " what's this sh*** gimme the gravy" :D

sobore, Newscience and gregm like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh yes they are! So is leftover pizza!

Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    With cold beer!

sobore and gregm like this.