$425 annual fee for Economy plus question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PAinNY, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi..

I see on the United site that you can pay $425 for you and a companion to fly E+ for one year. I am taking my first flight with United in June - If i buy this does it go from June-June 2010 or from today if I buy the ticket..or is this Jan/Dec usuage?
    Not very clear on the site.
    Thanks in advance
    Pat

2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it runs for one year from date of subscription, but be careful as it renews automatically if you don't cancel it. Also, AFAIK, your subscription must be valid when you fly, rather than when you book.

If you are planning on flying a reasonable amount (ie you fly >25000 miles in any calendar year), then you become a 2P, which is valid for the rest of that year, the whole of the following year and January in the next, and that entitles you to free Economy Plus.

RichardInSF likes this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note that the companion has to be on the same passenger record as you or they won't get E+, in other words, you have to book together.

If you can manage the 25,000 miles (see the posts on mileage runs for some hints!), in addition to the E+ seating you'll also get bag check fees waived.

4. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much - I probably fly a bit less than 25,000 per year - at least this year. I never flew United, normally Continental and with the CO credit card I get one free bag on CO - wonder if this will apply to United?

So, just to clarify - if I purchase the ticket today and do not purchase the E+ package until June then if the seat is available I can change from E to E+ after I purchase the annual package? No sense in purchasing it today since I won't fly until June - after that I have a few more trips schedule for this year.
    Thanks again
    Pat

5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is correct. UA also often sells E+ by the flight, so if it's available you might consider that. That's listed on the website (if available) when you click on "travel options" for that specific reservation.

6. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 25000 miles can be a combination of UA and CO -- and actually any *A carrier... as l;)ng as you credit it to the UA program.

RichardInSF likes this.
  7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's more that you must credit the 25000 elite qualifying miles either all to the UA program or all to the CO program. While the elite qualifying miles will be combined at the end of the year for status next year, they won't (at least as far as we know now) be combined any time in the middle of the year. As of 3/7/11 you can combine elite qualifying miles between CO and UA. The other added details being that CO elites still get E+ access and that miles flown on other *A carriers might not earn 1 elite qualifying mile per mile flown, depending on fare class.

Xyzzy and RichardInSF like this.
  8. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes -- there are certainly quite a few nuances in where t;) credit and why.

9. lunettes noires
    Original Member

lunettes noires Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand why anyone would pay $425 for the economy plus option if you can qualify for the Mileage Plus Access Visa for $275 annual fee. Or did they silently discontinue that card? I can't seem to find an application page but there are still vestiges of the original 2009 marketing on the website:
    http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53382,00.html

Pegasus and sobore like this.
  10. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The $425 isn't bad including people doing long hauls where E+ can add up in costs. If I recall TATL fight can be over $100 per person, and if a couple are traveling, it can be well worth it (including if one is tall like me where the extra inches are life savers)

Skyvillager likes this.
  11. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do UA elites automatically get access to E+? Or do even elites have to pay extra?

12. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course! One of the benefits for every UA elite

Skyvillager likes this.
  14. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I have not been on an old UA plane just yet :)

15. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are not that old [​IMG]

Skyvillager likes this.
  16. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isnt it better to do a status challenge and a mileage run or two than pay the $450?

17. i never have that problem I just call mileage plus and they join the reservations.

18. I think that's true for 1Ks - they can have a companion in E+ even if on different PNRs. But for people who pay for the E+ annual option, AFAIK the companion must be in the same reservation.

19. OH oops! As a 1k at UA I just assume the do anything to keep us happy and its working! The suffering Air Canada makes for customer with 100k is what makes UA looks so great

20. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    And now it turns out that you can combine elite qualifying miles at any point this year :) Hooray!

21. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another question on the $425 mileage option. I purchased it since we have an upcoming TATL flight and another shorter flight this year. It would have been the same if I upgraded individual tickets to E+- we are two flying together.
    If I get an economy award ticket (55000) miles within the year can I upgrade that ticket to E+? I called United twice, one agent said yes and the other said no. It would seem to me that I could, don't have dates yet so didn't attempt do try it. Would be nice since I have this option for a year.
    Thanks
    Pat
    PS...That Visa option of $275 a year sounds good for next year if the card is still available -anyone know for sure?

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes

23. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Rob!

jbcarioca likes this.