$41.88 short of sign up bonus and one day left - help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jamesb2147, Sep 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know of a product service that reliably posts on the day of purchase? Apparently Amazon video and T-Mobile prepaid recharges are not in this category.

I have a Square transaction pending that I just initiated tonight, but I won't know how long it takes to post until 10/2/13, when it'll be too late!

Help is much appreciated! :)

free101girl and Kalboz like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    go to a store and use the card

bez7, viguera, MX and 3 others like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next time, don't wait so long to meet the minimum spend.

rockyrock, boondr, MX and 4 others like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    some gas stations...

free101girl likes this.
  5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    donate to KIVA through PayPal?

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if it's just to buy a gasoline gift card or something...like at Staples. Or put some gas in your car or go to the grocery store and buy something for a homeless guy.

marcwint55, free101girl and viguera like this.
  7. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guys, the problem isn't *using the card.* The problem is finding a source that will *post* the transaction on the same day. I can come up with plenty of ways to spend money, just not one that will settle the same day.

I had inquired about why my points hadn't posted yet and below is their response:
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Our records indicate that on your 09/20/13 billing statement you had $2,958.12 in net purchases toward the $3,000.00 purchase requirement. The last day to meet the purchase requirement is 10/01/13, if you can make at least $41.88 in purchases tonight and/or tomorrow that will post by 10/01/13, you will meet the requirement for this offer. The bonus miles would then post in 1 to 2 billing statements.

We hope this information is helpful.

One explanation of the difference between pending and posting:
    http://www.freecreditcardtransactio...tdoespendingmeanonacreditcardtransaction.html

Well, in the past, I ran two transactions via Square within minutes of each other, but on different cards. The Citi card showed the transaction running on the same day (that doesn't mean it settled on the same day, though!!!). The US Bank card, however, took three additional days. Here's hoping it posts in one day!!! :X

8. RnTTravel

RnTTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just because your statement may show the same date as the actual statement it probably didn't post til at least the next day. I have yet to see an item actually post the same day you charge it. It takes at least overnight for the credit card processor to post the charge.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had several gas charges post the same day because the pump updates the auth with a completed charge when I hang up the nozzle.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know I've seen it before. I can't recall where, though, and gas stations are almost always locally-ish owned, at least around here. I mean, the rules will vary.

My car also has a small gas tank (10Gal) and I recently refueled. :(

I'll let everyone know tomorrow whether the Square transaction posted overnight. If it doesn't, I'll beg Citi to wait for it and consider the transaction in whether they should award the bonus points.

This'll be interesting!

11. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hooray! It looks like it posted last night! No more pending status!!!! :D

12. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank goodness.

And also, u waited the last minute to complete a sign up bonus? That's blasphemy to the MP world. ;)

13. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI: My points posted last week. Yay!!!! So Square definitely posted same day with Citibank. They took longer on my US Bank card. Good to know for those in a pinch!!!

14. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone tell me the logic of cutting it that close?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't any.

16. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your statement in explanation of the difference between pending and posting is not totally accurate. What it's talking about is mobile card transactions where the card is swiped and then batched with other transactions from the merchant and processed at one time. The accounts numbers are pending and can be pending for days or weeks. It is usually from small stores or off site vendors (like swap meet vendors). If you use your card at a supermarket chain, major gas station, etc. the funds are captured immediately and posted immediately.

17. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I work with a guy who used to write POS (that's "point of sale," people!!!) software. His explanation was that people who batch process are usually running it that way for a reason; e.g. they run everything on a mainframe.

Anyway, the point is that Square transactions on my Citibank AAdvantage card have posted on the same day at least twice now. US Bank took a few extra days.

Now to decide what to do with my points... :}

18. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, whatever you decide to do with them... don't wait til the last minute! ;)

jamesb2147 and LETTERBOY like this.