40 Minutes Transfer at DEN

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by arshavin, Nov 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I would be traveling with Family of 4 on Southwest to Orlando in coming weeks. Did not think of it earlier but now that I am getting ready for the trip, I realize I only have 40 Minutes layover at Denver. Should I be worried about it and get it changed or in case of some delay, will Southwest help me in not making it a hassle?

This is an award flight, so tried to change it but it needs more miles which I would have to buy. I do not have enough miles at the moment.

2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where the gates are relative to each other... I've made it in less, but I was alone and hauling ass. But, depending on the time of the day, your connecting flight might be late too.

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was Frontier it wouldn't matter since every flight they have out of Denver seem to run late. Sorry just bitter.

I'd say it's close but should be OK. Figure most airlines start boarding at 30 minutes prior to departure. SW seems to go more with 20 to 25 minutes so you should have 20 minutes on the ground. It might be worth mentioning this to the flight crew on your inbound flight to see if they can get you off the plane first (doubt it but worth a try). Also try to get an A boarding pass on the inbound flight (even if you have to buy it) might be a good investment so you can sit in front. If your inbound flight gets delayed immediately ask the gate agent about alternatives on the connection as you will not make it. You could also check and see if there is an earlier inbound flight as the cost to change might not be much if anything if you ask nicely. Also if you have really little kids to the pre-board on the inbound to sit in front also. Good luck and don't spend too much at Disney :)

arshavin likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's doable and WN would protect you onward regardless of weather or mechanical delays.

If you missed your flight at DEN for whatever reason WN would not try to collect more RR points so y'all should be fine.

5. Doc Savage

Doc Savage Active Member

Status Points:
    You will likely make it if there are no delays. In any case, you will be put on other WN flights to get you to MCO. Hopefully there are other direct flights DEN-MCO later in the day...?

6. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought the early bird check in to shave off some time at DEN while deplaning. I was so happy with the award ticket, now 50 bucks to the trip already and i am not in Disney yet.

Anybody have any experience of going to Kennedy space center. I want to spend a day there too.

7. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be an issue. Southwest uses terminal C and you can cover end-to-end in 20 minutes. I even think they only use half of terminal C, so that might work pretty well. If you were going from B25 to B90 on UA or changing terminals I'd question it as that probably violates MCT or your sanity.

Having said that, you're not likely to have time to use the facilities or pick up something to eat or drink if everything is on-time. At best you may have 10-15 minutes for a quick bathroom break and perhaps a grab-n-go item if the gates work in your favor.

ETA: Having said that - family of four? Do you need to wait for a stroller? If so, all logic goes out the window.

8. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I do not need to wait for stroller as my daughter is 4. I will be checking in a car seat with baggage.