40% Bonus On Your Gold Passport Points Purchase

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by freewon, Jan 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. freewon

freewon Active Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This looks targeted. What do GP points usually go for without any discount? I just checked out what is offered at link and 50K points would cost me $1,200 or 2.4 cents/point. Is this the normal or the 40% discounted cost?

Also, this could be a great deal if it is considered a Hyatt purchase and one earns 3 additional points/$ for paying with the Chase Hyatt visa card. In my case 50K for $1,200 + ($1,200 * 3) = 53,600 points.

Another way to consider this is that in order to earn 53,600 GP points from stays, a GP Plat would need to spend some $9K, making the point purchase look like a real bargain...

Am I reading things correctly?

Newscience likes this.
  3. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    that seems to be the usual price of GP points, I just checked my account and there's no bonus points on points purchase too...so certainly seems be be a targeted offer..the Hyatt banner that the OP pasted mentioned it was for members who have purchased points last year...

i think last year, i didn't purchase any, i just kept burning them ! to be fair, the Hyatt properties that i stayed in were great value on C+P rates and point redemptions, and the quality of the hotels and hotel staff service were very good as well..:)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because of this rationale:
    I convinced myself to purchase 50K points for $1,200, which, after everything posts and combines with points I already had, would boost my total to 72K GP points. I am confident that the points will pay for themselves several times over later this year during my 2015 Year-end Asian Escapade(TM), as I use these points to book C&P stays at top Hyatt properties. For instance, just a couple of weeks ago I was at Park Hyatt Siem Reap on a 2-night C&P stay that cost me "just" 15K GP points and $240. Had I paid out of pocket for that 2-night stay, it would have cost me $850 (room rates were ~$400/night)! The 72K GP points that I now have in bank will go a long way and will easily get me back and more the $1,200 that I just spent. Then next year, I will do the same thing again but will get a 40% discount for having purchased the points this year...;)

5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds like a good plan....I was at the Grand Hyatt Seoul in Dec last year on C+P at 7,500 + USD 100 per night, which was good value in itself and as the hotel manager also kindly and generously upgraded us to a club room, it became outstanding value......

another way is to also consider BRG opportunities with Hyatt to lower the cost of the Hyatt stays....:)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not seeing the offer either, 50k is $1,200 up to 55k for $1,320. Diamond here and I had a ton of nights and zero redemptions last year, and I didn't buy any points.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started last year with 58K GP points in bank, accumulated over a couple of years, and then I burned about half of them in Sept on a C&P stay at Park Hyatt Seoul - a nice property. Finally, I depleted the bank on stays at Hyatt Regency Manila in December and Park Hyatt Siem Reap just two weeks ago, both C&P stays.

With HHonors being my #1 program, I do not stay frequently enough at Hyatt properties to accumulate GP points. However, the little dirty secret is that despite my constant b*tching about Gold Passport as a lacking loyalty program, I just love staying at Hyatt properties even without status (well I am a GP Plat but that is the same thing) because their hotels are almost always tastefully done and their service is absolutely second to none. The 50K GP points I just purchased supports what I just said. Too bad Gold Passport is such a lousy, inconsistent and shaky loyalty program...

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm lucky enough that the last year (and this year from the looks of it) I will have a tremendous amount of hotel stays paid for by work, in cities where Hyatt has a strong presence -- which is really the reason I'm sending them the business. Last year I think work-related stays accounted for about 72-74k points, but all of my redemptions came from my IHG points instead. Almost all of my leisure stays where in locations that I wanted to visit (PLS, GCM) where Hyatt had little or no properties, so it's their fault I didn't get to spend any of the points I earned. :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt's small 'footprint' is definitely one of their major limitations. However, they seem to be everywhere in most of the popular destinations around the world, especially in Asia. I was, in fact, surprised to find that despite their small footprit (they are only about 1/8th of Hilton) there are several major Asian cities (Ho Chi Minh City, Taipei, Siem Reap, Manila) that have a Hyatt presence but no Hilton or, sometimes, Marriott! Those are the cities for which I stock up on GP points...

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't assume that the 40% discount offer will be repeated next year in deciding whether to purchase points this year.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My glass is always half full...:)
    More to the point is that, based on my travel pattern and some crude back of the envelop calculations, I see this as a win-win situation regardless of what happens next year...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    MSPeconomist likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait so has anybody (other than the OP) actually been targeted for this 40% bonus?

NYCUA1K and MSPeconomist like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question. Someone else who got targeted should have chimed in by now...

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Updates: I have just confirmed that these or any Hyatt points are purchased from POINTS.COM rather than directly from Hyatt, which means that GP point purchases are considered general purchases that earn 1 point/$ rather than Hyatt purchases that would earn 3 points/$.

This seems like a "ghost" offer with no one other than OP appearing to have been targeted...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  15. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to have purchased points in 2014 to be eligible. I punched in TH's account number and saw the bonus points appear.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does this mean? Bonus points supposedly "appear" with a purchase. Did you make a purchase and verified the 40% discount?

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points.com always shows you a different dropdown when you qualify for the promo... they usually show you the bonus points right on the dropdown so you know what you're getting.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  18. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    would be great if Hyatt had another less generous offer, say 30%, for folks who did NOT purchase points last year :p

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    SYD likes this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points: