40% bonus on Avios transfers from Amex MR points

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by ballardFlyer, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    As noted on several blogs this am, Amex MR is running a 40% bonus on BA Avios point transfers until Sept 27th. Not quite as good as the 50% transfer bonus that ended May 31st, but a good value if you have short haul award needs coming up. I've been leveraging my Avios on AS all summer and need to top up :)

aptraveler and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note this is the USA version of the Membership Rewards scheme.

3. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of transferring 75K Membership Rewards points to BA Avios points to take advantage of their 40% bonus but I'm not 100% certain it's the best use of my points. I live in Boston and most of my flights are
    a) to/from Winnipeg, Manitoba or Billings/Great Falls, Montana to visit family
    b) to from Heathrow to various locations for my 12 year old granddaughter to visit family (BA's taxes are HUGE on these award flights)
    c) various vacations to/from Boston to Florida, Bonaire

I have Delta & United points which I keep on hand for Canadian trips and AA points which I've used for the Heathrow round trips in the past.

My Amex card is renewing with the annual fee, so I need to make a decision this week on where to send my MR points.

Any recommendations?

4. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously you know that using Avios to Heathrow involves BA taxes . . . can't see this being a good transfer for you.

5. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the taxes on a BA Heathrow flight are high, but not as high as a return trip flight from Heathrow to Canada would be. I'll try to use the Avios points for trips within the US. And I'll pay the higher surcharges to get my granddaughter to Canada when I have no other options.

6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Avois are super-useful for intra-EU flying. 7500 from EDI to FCO, with a stopover at LHR. Or 3200 from EDI-BRU with a stopover and a $40 co-pay. That's less than the FR taxes/luggage fee and really makes intra-EU travel a snap.

Who'd imagine I could say this? What the BA apologists and ideologues don't get is that I know when a program delivers real value in comparison to peers and when it sucks.

In this one area, BA is - astonishingly - king of the hill. Even using valuable UA MP, redeeming on Star, which for most worldwide uses spank the butts of competing programs for availability and lower cost, is more expensive for intra-EU. This is normally because of the German taxes that hit you as you migrate via MUC/FRA/DUS. But 12.5k intra-EU and $80-$120 in taxes doesn't beat 4.5-9k, with $20-$40 of taxes.

deant likes this.