40,000 US Air CC still exists

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by youpaiyou, Feb 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just flew US Airways today and the flight attendants were handing out applications for a 40,000 Barclay card. I picked one up to read it and it looks exactly like the old US Airways CC offer. If you fill out the application while you are on the plane you get an additional 500 miles.

SC Flier and jbcarioca like this.
  2. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    i had it saved on my bookmarks for a couple of weeks while getting ready for my CC churn but if I think i had it from someone at boardingarea...

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    URL seems to work with removed referrer id.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This offer, does NOT offer the 10,000 miles at each anniversary of holding the card.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good point. Of course, we don't know at this time if there will be any more anniversaries :)

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good point! I forgot about that one!

By the way, I noticed this deal being passed around by the FA when I flew US on Tuesday. I told my neighbor who was considering it that it was a good deal.

Since I have both the US and an AA card, I expect that I will be cancelling one in the coming year (to avoid paying tow annual fees)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have both as well and a second US card on the way. I expect to cancel them all eventually, in the hope that an entirely new one gets released by the New American's bank.

autolycus and miles and smiles like this.
  10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I now have 2 US and 1 AA card. While we're hoping things, I'm hoping Barclays and Citi both get to keep AA cards for a while and then a bidding war ensues for AA flyers, resulting in large signup bonuses on churnable cards. :) I'd also like AA to become a transfer airline for UR and MR.

11. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the US card in early January 2013, so since that account is so new, I don't know about the possibility of getting at least one more bonus before it goes away. I also have the AA Plat card, but I'm unsure of how to handle both of these cards moving forward

1) What happens to the disappearing airline's card in a merger (in this case USAirways card)? I wasn't playing the game when UA and CO tied up, so I don't know how the disappearing airlines cards are handled... How quickly would you cancel (if that's even what I should do) a new US card?

2) How likely is it that the bank New American selects will release an entirely new card for AA? My current AA card is what I'm really torn about. I got the AA Bronze version back in January 2007. That card served me fairly well until I applied for the AA Gold card somewhere around January of 2012 (I think). I kept the Bronze card open for awhile, but I decided to close it toward the end of 2012 and rolled most of it's credit to my AA Gold card. However, when the Plat card appeared, I tried to apply but was declined. However, I was bound to DFW and wanted the perks of the AA Plat card so I upgraded my Gold to the Plat card. In hindsight, it was a horribly foolish plan as it kept me from ever getting in on any of the 50,000 offers that appeared later. So, now I think it actually has the history of my Gold card associated with it since I just upgraded, so I'm afraid closing it could really hurt my AAoA. But, if there is the possibility of something better coming from the New American, I'd like to be in a position where I could capitalize on it if it happens. Any advice or thoughts on how I should handle this?

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They converted the old CO OnePass cards into UA Explorer cards. That was a different scenario, though, because both airlines partnered with the same bank, Chase. A better example might be Delta/NWA. US Bank converted the NWA cards into the Flexperks cards (and, I think, basically created the Flexperks program as a result of losing the NWA affiliate deal). I still have one of those in my sock drawer.

boondr and jwsky like this.
  13. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you see Barclay's doing something similar with their US cards? I just don't see CITI losing their affiliation with AA, thus leaving Barclay's out in the cold.

When, then, should I consider cancelling the US card? I doubt it will be around long enough to get the 10,000 points at the 1 year mark...

14. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would keep the card if it does not cost you a fee. If and when the current US Air arrangement goes away, Barclay may offer you something else. And there may be some bonus to keep you around. I have had this happen with other banks and other programs. The bank still wants your bussiness.

15. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus the annual fee is not waived for the first year.

16. Lauraric

Lauraric New Member

Status Points:
    I asked on a flight Friday and was told that US Air plans to keep the Barclay card and benefits. The flight attendant said they had received an e-mail on it earlier in the week.

17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they were referring to the e-mail that Barclays sent all their card holders saying, "No changes for now"?

autolycus likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's clearly in US' interest to keep hawking the credit card while it is available. So in that light the email makes sense.

I doubt that US' management would (be able to) make any statements regarding the future banking partner at this point.

LETTERBOY and autolycus like this.
  19. Lauraric

Lauraric New Member

Status Points:
    Could be, but she said it was a company e-mail.

20. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    An internal US e-mail? Even if that's the case, why would FAs be in the loop about marketing/affiliation decisions such as this?