4 Unrealistic Concerns Too Many Travelers Worry Over

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.paramuspost.com/article.php/20130516060016322

Travel is one of the most rewarding, educational, uplifting ways to spend your time and money. However, many people deny themselves wonderful experiences due to irrational fears. These fears stop them from enjoying terrific experiences, meeting new people, and broadening their horizons. Here are the most unrealistic fears, and the truth you need to know to free you to enjoy traveling.

1. Crime Rates
    Destinations such as South America and Africa strike fear in many travelers, who assume they'll be mugged or knifed upon arrival. While many of the countries in these parts of the world do experience high crime rates, you're just as likely to be a victim of crime in one of the larger U.S. cities, such as New York or Detroit. Just like you would in your hometown, you just need to exercise common sense and avoid unnecessary risks when traveling abroad.
    Stick to the recognized tourist routes, pay attention to advice from the travel agent you depend on for cheap airfares, and do most of your sightseeing during the daylight hours. Use the same precautions you'd use in an unfamiliar city here. For example, opt for a guided tour over sightseeing alone, and carry little cash.

2. Acts of Terrorism
    Many would-be travelers watch too much news, and assume that terrorist acts are a daily part of life in some areas of the world, such as the Middle East. However, statistically you're more likely to be struck by a bolt of lighting than to be a victim of a terrorist act, no matter where in the world you are.
    One in every 10,408,947 people become victims of terrorists. Your chances of having a superb trip are far greater than your chances of becoming the next Al Qaeda victim. As with avoiding crime, stick to the known tourist routes and use common sense while abroad.

Read More: http://www.paramuspost.com/article.php/20130516060016322

uggboy and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hazards of TSA are probably a million times more likely to encounter, judging from traveler comments here. ;)

uggboy and bigx0 like this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll admit I get super scared about dangerous wildlife. What can I say? I've seen a few too many specials on the deadly affects of the Funnel Spider.

sobore likes this.
  4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only Place I have ever been with truly dangerous wildlife was was Hamilton Island / Airlie Beach where they made you wear wet suits to go in to the ocean because of the danger of Box Jelly Fish.

Or the most dangerous animal in the world the mosquito in Laos and Northern Thailand. Took antimalarials there.

Terrorism the only time I have been close was sitting at my desk at work (and 3 days later at home) last month. Actually the same for food poisoning.

sobore likes this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    i was also in the Whitsundays, on Hayman, lizards and other reptiles everywhere. I was freaking out constantly.

Muerl and sobore like this.