4 Points KCI Airport - shuttle warning

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, Oct 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you book a stay here, be aware that their Shuttle service from the Airport is on demand... dont expect it to just show up like the other hotel shuttles. You actually have to call the front desk and ask them to get you picked up.

I could have used this information when I was last there... instead, I wasted 20 minutes of my time just standing around.... wish someone at this place were smart enough to give you the heads up when you book a room... :mad:

Aside from this issue, the place is OK. I would stay again if I could get a reasonable rate... nothing to do near the hotel, but its not bad being close to the airport if you are just in and out of town.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an FYI, but this is what it says under the Local Area > Transportation tab of this hotel's web site:

Hotel Shuttle

• Fee: Complimentary
    • Hours: 24 hours
    • About: Onsite;
      For complimentary shuttle pickup, please call from the courtesy phone in the airport baggage area.

Gaucho and uggboy like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this.... now, I may be old-fashioned... but in the current era of computer systems... am I asking too much for this hotel to tell me this when I make a booking on the spg website....? After all, this hotel is the odd one out as the Hilton, Marriott and others that serve this airport have their shuttles going to and from the airport all the time.... yes, the information is on the website as you have pointed out but I guess I would expect the initiative to inform their guests to be on the side of the hotel.... dont know, perhaps Im just asking too much as this is a 4 Points and perhaps not considered a full-service hotel..??

4. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to say that, yes...you are probably expecting too much. :D

Gaucho likes this.
  5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I estimate that 75% of the airport hotel shuttles I use are on-demand
    rather than scheduled or periodic. Just one of those facts of life - I
    imagine that there are fewer and fewer dedicated drivers, and more
    hotels just get the gardener or whoever is handy at the moment when
    someone calls. I think it was a Westin near IAD where I had the manager
    as the shuttle driver.

jupper and Gaucho like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood... thanks for the reality check.

7. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know! I will be at this hotel in a few weeks for just a night, quick in and out. Gaucho, I might have waited as well! I'll make sure to call now.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep..... get that number on you cell phone memory....

9. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. Or do what most folks do...pick up the courtesy phone in baggage claim. ;)

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    ah... I missed that.... but hey, in the era of celular communications, who still bothers with those snail mail age courtesy phones..????? :p

11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a few times - and once was after waiting and waiting for an "on demand" airport shuttle.
    Another "heads up" for folks is to make sure your hotel has a shuttle that runs at the hour you'll need it. I once stayed at an HHonors property near SFO (it may have been one of the Hamptons or HGIs several years ago) to find out that the shuttle didn't run early enough for my very early flight. I had to pay for a cab, and was livid.

Gaucho and Wurm like this.
  12. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    And as I did the other week, when arriving at ORD with my two cellphones both still containing European SIMs (the U.S. SIMs were buried deep within my luggage).

It's surprising how many airport hotels don't run their first shuttle until 06:00 or even later - especially bad in cities with significant banks of 6am and 7am departures.

Sometimes uncertainty about early shuttles means that Priceline can't be used - or, the need to pay for a cab eats into the savings that Priceline would otherwise have provided.

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 4 points SFO has a shuttle service starting at 5am if I remember correctly...