4% Increase in YQ charge from this morning...typical?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by scf, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am looking to book a ticket from ORD to DME and was doing some research earlier today.

YQ surcharge was $496 this afternoon (literally 5 hours ago) and now its $516. Is this type of increase typical of normal fluctuations or should I book it before gas prices go any higher...?

not trying to dump it (although, that wouldn't be a bad thing...) but am curious if people have noticed similar increases.

Poses another more general question re: price fluctuation. How often are prices changing? Any pattern or method to the madness? For example..I've heard Tuesday nights are best for purchasing tickets. Is that a myth or is there any truth to it? I hate booking after an increase thinking "its only gonna get pricier" to then see it drop by $100 the next week...!

-Chase

ps. not sure if I posted in the right thread....feel free to move to a more appropriate place. (c:

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fares can change at any time, though there are typically set times where new fares are published in international markets, one to three times daily.

As for the Tuesday/Wednesday thing, IME that is often because the lower fare buckets are opened up, not because new, cheaper fares are published.

Also, there was a news piece earlier today about UA matching a WN fare increase. Obviously that doesn't apply in the DME market, but UA might have just done it across the board. But the YQ rate rarely correlates with the actual costs of fuel so I wouldn't think of it that way.

scf likes this.
  3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that United tends to increase the price of its tickets on Fridays and for the weekends, and then the price may drop back down during the early part of the following week. With regards to the increase in YQ, I figure it is being due to the rise of oil to $108 a barrel.

TAHKUCT and scf like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    scf likes this.