4 hours in Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by chef4u, Jun 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any suggestions on how to spend it....will be downtown.

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the temple and temple square is the big draw:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_Temple
    You can not go into the temple unless you are a member but they are tourist things outside of it.

I enjoyed a sampler set of beers and a pretzel at a local brewery's pub in the SLC airport on one trip. I visit family a little north from SLC every so often and went downtown once. I honestly don't recall anything other than maybe a hint of a recollection of seeing the temple.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kinda hard to suggest anything in downtown SLC. SLC has a different feel than any other city I have been in.

4. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Downtown, without a car, I assume? I love Salt Lake City, in part because I can satisfy my personal interests. Music, certain types of food (vegan), coffee, literature and books... Without knowing your interests, it's tough.

One thing I would recommend to almost anyone is the 901/902 bus. Yes, bus. For about $5.00, you can be in Park City in a little less than an hour. And it's not a wasted hour. Nice drive up. Park City is a little Disney-ish - pleasant and entertaining, thougn (at least for the passer-thru) not terribly deep. (I'm sure if you lived there, cared about its history and future, it'd be different. But for visitors...)

If you'd rather stay downtown, give me a clue: there are great bookstores, obviously the whole genealogy thing, the capitol, local arts...

WilliamQ and chef4u like this.
  5. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:

Staying at the Little America Hotel....have between Noon and 4:00 to explore....does that help?

6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if one has the option of choosing SLC as a 1 day stopover in mid / late October, will that be a good choice?

7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Salt Lake has an excellent light rail system which goes by Little America and to the SLC airport -- the Temple Square area is a must see -- people who aren't LSD can't go in the Temple, but there is a visitor's center and the Tabernacle and both are must sees that you can easily covered in a couple of hours -- Brigham Young's house is also worth seeing.

DTWBOB

WilliamQ and iolaire like this.